• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

06 Tundra Breaks Go Out Then 5 Miles Feft Frunt Wheel Falls Off

syl

I was hauling a utility trailer just turned off hwy and breaks went to floor but did pump up, made it to friend home unhooked trailer with electric breaks and had no more break problem, drove to mechanic shop asked him what that could be ,he said must be coming from trailer, so how could that be , never had that happen before? so drove 3 miles just pulled into a driveway real slow no bumps in road and left wheel fall off lower ball joint so my question is could that be why I lost my breaks ? from loose ball joint or other problem? I just had a bad feeling some thing was going to happen

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The trailer with elec. brakes most likely didn't cause the issue; Heres why, the elect. brake system is designed to control the brake force of the trailer brakes as applied via a signal from the trucks braking system, it doesn't change the force of the trucks hydraulic braking system, it only applies its own trailer brakes as an assisting force, never a controlling force.
As to the truck system, other than the brake issue how was the truck handling just prior to the wheel departing? Any I'll handling or feeling of sluggishness? Wobbling or weaving?
My suspicion is prior to the wheel coming off all the way it separated enough to either cause a brake line to leak but not fully fail or it pulled an ABS sensor wire loose enough to cause an issue with the ABS pump causing your loss of brake/pumping up the brakes issue.

syl

The trailer with elec. brakes most likely didn't cause the issue; Heres why, the elect. brake system is designed to control the brake force of the trailer brakes as applied via a signal from the trucks braking system, it doesn't change the force of the trucks hydraulic braking system, it only applies its own trailer brakes as an assisting force, never a controlling force.
As to the truck system, other than the brake issue how was the truck handling just prior to the wheel departing? Any I'll handling or feeling of sluggishness? Wobbling or weaving?
My suspicion is prior to the wheel coming off all the way it separated enough to either cause a brake line to leak but not fully fail or it pulled an ABS sensor wire loose enough to cause an issue with the ABS pump causing your loss of brake/pumping up the brakes issue.

syl

Your right was thinking the weight I had on the trailer effected my front wheels problem I did not feel a wobble at all that could be because of the weight also, and like you said tugged on the sensor , then when I unhooked the trailer the weight was gone and my breaks worked fine till wheel fell off the balljoint wow !the crap that can happen

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Ok, next observation, have you had work done on the front suspension?
Back a few years ago many owners had problems with lower ball joints, and blamed Toyota for this issue, the problem was many times the owners had work done on the suspension, shocks, A arms, tie rods, etc, items that required loosening or removal of lower ball joint attaching bolts, most mechanics weren't knowledgeable about the requirement of lock tight on the bolts when re assembling, and thus causing an issue later on.

Related Content You Might Like: