• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota Tundra DIESEL Engine Option?

SharkRider

100 Posts
I don't have a Toyota Tundra diesel. I was wondering if anyone has one and whether they like their Toyota Tundra diesel. I think it would be nice to have one.

How much extra power do you get with the diesel version? How much more does it cost?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
The next-generation Tundra is going to get a different version of the same Cummins diesel that the next-gen Nissan Titan is going to get.

tessy21

diesel engine is great for pulling for the torque and actually better on gas than most gas engines, but here are some of the cons. Pay more at the pump for diesel, cost more to fix when they break. If they put a cummins in a Toyota truck it would be the ultimate truck. I have a lot of friends around where I live and they love my crew cab 4x4 tundra, but they pull heavy equipment and it doesn't pull or wouldn't last like a diesel motor would under that kind of stress. Also they have more accessories for the motors as well than the standard tundra.

I heard they are coming out in 16 with them and I hope they will beef up the rear end. The awesome thing is the option for the transmission. You can get either a Allison trans. or the tundra 6 speed tranny.

If i was looking for a truck in the next year or 2 then i would hold out and get one of the tundra's with the diesel.

tessy21

The next Gen Cummins is a v8 5.0 liter diesel. It will put out 300hp w/500ft lbs. Of torque. I would love to have one in my tundra. I always have been a big fan of the Cummins diesels. It has been around for along time.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
If anybody gets one let me know how it is. I will definitely trade my tundra for one if it has great results with it.
I've heard great things about the new Ram products and the Cummins engine has always been a bright shining star for them, that much is for sure. Ram made crap products for a long time, but since being taken over by Fiat they are actually putting out some pretty quality products. Some of them are new designs, but some of the existing models are just build better because the Chrysler workers thought they were going to lose their jobs so quality control went out the window for a while.

Last edited:

tessy21

Your exactly right. But the thing is this is the time that toyota got into the diesel world. Tundra is the perfect truck. It would be the map of trucks. Toyota has been needing a diesel for along time. Dodge does make crap. But Cummins is definitely been around and they have been known for good reputation for there motors.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, other people have chimed in on this issue, so I won't beat a dead horse, but there is clearly a demand for diesel vehicles, especially as the new turbo diesels have been able to be so effective on the fuel economy return. My dad's old gasoline 38' motorhome got about 7 MPG and then he bought a heavier 40' version of the same motorhome but just with a diesel pusher, got him up into the 9 MPG range. That was not enough to offest the cost of the fuel, but they did have to stop less and the diesel engine takes a LOT less fuel when idling.

Gasoline engines burn fuel at roughly the same fuel to air mixture all the time, not quite but pretty close. Diesel engines are variable so at idle they can burn like 100:1 and when at full throttle more like 8:1 or whatever.

tessy21

Your right. Also Cummins have cleaned up there emissions better than any other diesel also. I'm not a tree hugger by no means. The Cummins don't have to have that emissions additive for it. I think that stands out a little bit more than the others. The fuel economy is where it's at. The diesel pusher can haul a car on a car trailer and still get better gas mileage than I get not hauling anything.

geezala

I used to live up in Minnesota, we used to have to use the "other" diesel due to the cold weather. I wonder if they still use that up there.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Any word if Tundra will ever get a diesel or what about the Hilux coming to the US
This question has been asked for many years. I would love to see a small diesel option in both the Tacoma and Tundra. Doubt it will ever happen with the crazy emissions standards in the US.

Related Content You Might Like: