• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Will not start...Just clicks. 1994 Toyota Pickup with 22RE

cp1024

Wondering what this could be. She has started up everytime except today. I get power to everything when the key is turned but when I move it to start, all I get is a "Click" and nothing else. I've checked all the fuses and connection to the battery and everything seems to be fine. Can a starter just go out overnight?
a few years back I noticed this same problem. i examined my starter and found the relay/solenoid contacts are just worn. its basically a copper washer attached to the solenoid actuator. if i key to start a few times it usually kicks over. I'll rebuild with new contacts when that stops working. mostly happens in fall...like today.

LBD WV

Most likely the batter cables and posts are corroded . Just clean both batter posts and the cable ends that fit over the posts. Use the cleaner tool you can get at any auto store for not very much. It is steel brushes that fit over post and into the ends of the cables that fit over the posts. Make sure to re tighten up the batter cables. If it still does not start check batter to see if it is charged enough. A jump from another car is enough to get it started so you can let it charge up. It should charge at least 5min. If it will not restart it sounds like the alternator is not charging up you battery. Auto stores will check it to see if its charging. Always do the least expensive first before making large investments of money for parts you may not need.

LBD WV

Most likely the batter cables and posts are corroded . Just clean both batter posts and the cable ends that fit over the posts. Use the cleaner tool you can get at any auto store for not very much. It is steel brushes that fit over post and into the ends of the cables that fit over the posts. Make sure to re tighten up the batter cables. If it still does not start check batter to see if it is charged enough. A jump from another car is enough to get it started so you can let it charge up. It should charge at least 5min. If it will not restart it sounds like the alternator is not charging up you battery. Auto stores will check it to see if its charging. Always do the least expensive first before making large investments of money for parts you may not need.

cp1024

nope, clean cables and did I mention going on 3rd year. I physically inspected my starter. I know that the starter relay contacts are the culprit because I looked.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
nope, clean cables and did I mention going on 3rd year. I physically inspected my starter. I know that the starter relay contacts are the culprit because I looked.
How often do you have this issue?

cp1024

rarely happens in the summertime, in fall mostly when nights get below 50 and dew forms in the early am. i realized it was better to handle in my own when i took the starter out to have it bench tested and the fella at O'Reilly connected the cables to the motor instead of the relay and said he guesses that it's fine.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
As I pointed out early on in this post Toyota motor parts sells a rebuild kit for the starters. It includes new contact points and brushes, they also have a replacement relay.
I haven't bought One in about 5 yrs but the price was under $20 back then.

cp1024

As I pointed out early on in this post Toyota motor parts sells a rebuild kit for the starters. It includes new contact points and brushes, they also have a replacement relay.
I haven't bought One in about 5 yrs but the price was under $20 back then.
I saw that, I planned on getting an actuator/contact set if it ever stops working altogether.

cp1024

I'm taking HAL's advice for this one. "I would recommend that we put the unit back in operation and let it fail."

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm taking HAL's advice for this one. "I would recommend that we put the unit back in operation and let it fail."
? What's that a quote from? 2001 a space odyssey? I'm not sure that I've actually seen that movie as it's from what, 1968-69?

Related Content You Might Like: