• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Weird Engine Noise

DaveBarbier

Hey everyone. This is my first real post about a question with my new-to-me Pickup.

Well it runs great but there is this noise that 'seems' to be coming from the valve cover. It's a random tickity tick. Check out the video. To me it sounds like something is bouncing around in there! There's the normal ticking but then the random, slightly louder one comes in as I rev it.

Also, I just got this a few days ago so what do you guys recommend doing/checking other than an oil and filter change to make it good to go? Is there a tune up sequence I should be performing?

It's a 1994 Pickup manual 4x4 standard cab with 98k miles.

Thanks

RedDirtRollin

Looks like a 22re from video. I would check the clearance between all rocker arms and valve springs. And while you have the valve cover off. Look and seem if u have slack in the timing chain and if ur guides need changed. Which would be my next suggestion because of noise and with 98k miles that's your next major thing to go.( just my opinion, seen I happen a few times ) You can get a kit online ( I use eBay alot ) that will have all the parts you will need. Not too expensive. That's assuming your doing the work. And a repair manual is always handy.

Hope this helps

DaveBarbier

Thanks RedDirt, yes, it is a 22re, forgot to mention that. I do have a manual from my older '88 of the same model, pretty sure it goes up to '94. Yes, I'll be doing the work myself.

Love eBay. I use it a lot for getting parts for my old motorcycle. Very useful. I'll do so research on the chain guide.

Noise definitely seems like a non-rhythmic something or other. Not saying I'm a seasoned mechanic, but I haven't heard that noise before.

Anything else other than oil change you guys recommend doing? Transmission flush, transfer case flush?

RedDirtRollin

Oh and spend the little extra and get the heavy duty kit. Instead of a solid plastic guides. They are steel with plastic on them. Worth it!

DaveBarbier

Oh and spend the little extra and get the heavy duty kit. Instead of a solid plastic guides. They are steel with plastic on them. Worth it!
I saw those. For sure I'll spring for them. Still not sure if it's needed yet; might just put some miles on it first and do the chain later on if it's not immediately necessary. Hope I can identify what's making this weird noise this weekend.

Thanks

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Ws this fixed? Seems like this is a duplicate question. My apologies if not.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
It might just be the PCV valve. Just pull it and see if the noise stops.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
That would be something if it were that easy, please try it out and get back with us.

Related Content You Might Like: