• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Is This A Good Truck?

DaveBarbier

Hey guys and gals, I found a truck on Craigslist which says it runs well and it appears to be in good shape with very minor rust but the "rear end should be replaced". While emailing the owner they said, "we cleaned out the oil from the rear end and it was brown so it had water in it at some point so is rusted, it makes some noise, but it runs."

It's a 1990 manual 22RE with 135k miles on it for $3500. I'm looking for a low milage truck (this is about as high as I want to go) that I can just drive to the DMV, register it and not put money into it to get it going again. It will be my daily driver. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it. My gut says no.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Without guarantees that rear end could last another 40k+ or blow out tomorrow, cant tell how bad it is without a teardown and inspection.
If you go that far may as well rebuild and then she'll run along time again.
The rest of the truck sound worth working with.

DaveBarbier

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm looking at two other trucks in better shape with around 100k miles. But they're each about 4 hours away. Looks like this will be a last resort. If the consensus was that it was quick, easy and cheap to replace or rebuild then maybe I'd consider it.

Hopefully soon I'll be a part of this community!

DaveBarbier

Got a truck! I'm officially allowed in this forum now. '94 Pickup 22re with 98k miles. Seems to run really smoothly and shift nicely. Almost no rust, too. The seller even took me out to lunch, haha.

There is a noise that the PO thought was heat shield rattling in the engine compartment but when I took it home and looked more thoroughly it's something else...maybe more significant. I'll post that question with video in the proper section though.

DaveBarbier

I'm also a part of a vintage Honda motorcycle club and they have some great resources. Shop manuals, owners manuals, exploded view microfiches of every single part with part number, etc. Is there something similar here? I was looking around and couldn't seem to find anything.

I'm looking for some things like a clock (mine didn't come with that option), mud flap (PO ripped one off while backing up) and an original Toyota decal for the tailgate (he was a wrangler guy so he removed it)

Thanks everyone!

DaniMolo

TTC Chicks
Congratulations with the first Toyota! I think that was really good decision to buy this car, because it looks really good, and even though it is not a new one, I believe with Toyota you will drive many miles :)) good luck!

Related Content You Might Like: