• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Extended Vehicle Warranties - Yes Or No

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Seems to be very debated subject. Years ago I wouldn't think twice about Extended Warranties (EW). My little home shop has most of the tools needed to do preventative maintenance and minor repairs. I enjoy doing all my own scheduled maintenance on my vehicles, small engines, and motorcycle. But now days with all the electronics and computers on board of new vehicles, I decided to step back and rethink my long range plan. Just one major repair can possibly meet or exceed the cost of a EW.

As most of you know, as long as your Toyota is still within the original warranty period you are able to purchase the extended warranty. The dealers price at time of delivery was a joke. I decided to shop around for a EW for both my wife's RAV4 and my Tundra. (Third Party warranties are out of the question - won't go there.) Glad I did shop around, because we ended up saving quite a bit of money. Purchased the 8 year / 125k mile with $0 deductible for both vehicles. I hope to never have to use it but it's there if I do.

These were the main factors that justified our Extended Warranty purchase:
1. We plan on keeping our vehicles longer than the standard warranty period. (Sell within last year of EW)
2. Cost of repairs and labor are going through the roof.
3. Computer & Electronic complexity of newer vehicles.
4. If we sell vehicles while still under warranty - will get money back - that's a win - win!
5. Vehicles sell better and for more with a warranty.
6. Piece of mind for second owner knowing they are covered.

Anyway, that's what I did and it works for me. FWIW: I have never had a major problem with any Toyota I ever owned. I usually sell when the warranty runs out. Only exception, I did keep my 2004 Tacoma for 8 year and it had 115k miles. Not a problem one with it and still have original battery in it. I should have kept that one!
So what are your thoughts?

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
With a brand new Toyota you kinda don't need an extended warranty. I would expect to see 250k+ before needing anything major.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Most of the extended warranty companies are really service contracts that are only as good as the company that backs them. One of the largest companies of this type actually started to get too many claims against them so they just shut the doors down and the owners walked away with their profits from a couple decades of people paying for these contracts and then they didn't have to make good on any of them. I'm drawing a blank on their name right now but that was like back in 2008 or 2009 that they shut down.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Wow - that doesn't surprise me at all. In my book, any third party type warranty outfit is a waste of money. If someone went that route they would be better off just banking their monthly payment. At least they would have some money to show for their effort. At least I don't have to worry about Toyota closing their doors any time soon.

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
my experience most of the time has been that warranty companies are basically unregulated insurance companies.

Related Content You Might Like: