• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

How High Is Too High For A Tacoma Lift Kit?

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
I've seen some obnoxiously high-off-the-ground Tacomas driving around Alaska. What's your personal opinion on lift kits? Is it possible to 'overdo it'?

Personally I find really tall trucks to be obnoxious and a cry for attention. Maybe I don't see the allure in it and I'm missing something. But I think there is a right and a wrong way to go about lifting your truck. A functional, normal lift kit is good, but there are definitely some people who take it way too far- especially with midsize trucks.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Those tall trucks are normally mall crawlers made to pose on curbs after dominating the gutter.
The off-road club I belong to has no height limit on lifts, but all trucks must remain street legal, including a state safety inspection, and retain functionality on the trail.
The trail test is done on a 45deg incline ramp and two off camber trail sections at our local/home off road park.
At 6.5" suspension, and 35" tires my truck is one of the tallest to ever have passed the test. With 38" tires it wouldve rolled and failed had it not had retraining straps holding it upright during the test. There have been some failures and some that declined the test and membership.
Tall trucks can be made functional just keep the center of gravity low, takes work but its worth the result.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
Those tall trucks are normally mall crawlers made to pose on curbs after dominating the gutter.
The off-road club I belong to has no height limit on lifts, but all trucks must remain street legal, including a state safety inspection, and retain functionality on the trail.
The trail test is done on a 45deg incline ramp and two off camber trail sections at our local/home off road park.
At 6.5" suspension, and 35" tires my truck is one of the tallest to ever have passed the test. With 38" tires it wouldve rolled and failed had it not had retraining straps holding it upright during the test. There have been some failures and some that declined the test and membership.
Tall trucks can be made functional just keep the center of gravity low, takes work but its worth the result.
Thanks for the input, that was really enlightening actually. Honestly, I'm not a fan of lift kits- the appearance of them just doesn't appeal to me. But I find it really interesting that there are certain ways you can make a higher lift kit safer.

carldu

I don't do serious off-roading so may be I would go for a 2-3 inches of lift. Leveling kit is also popular to accommodate bigger tires.

Related Content You Might Like: