• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Towing Advice ~ Tacoma And Small Trailer

Bill

Hi Folks, I'm looking for unbiased opinion on if you think a Tacoma extended cab 6 cylinder automatic transmission would be suitable for towing a travel trailer with roughtly 277 lb tongue weight and 2400 total weight. I'm looking at something like an R-pod trailer. I don't have either the truck or the trailer yet because I want unbiased opinions on this, not just some salesman saying "yup, the truck will work just fine". I'm concerned with being able to go up mountain passes safely and also descending them. I have no experience towing anything so want to do as much research as possible first. Thanks in advance for all responses....Bill

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Piece of cake, that's well under the max ratings for even the lowest tow rating Tacoma.

Where are you planning to travel to in your trailer?

Bill

I have zero towing experience and am thinking of 2013 or newer (but not brand new). Was also curious if a transmission cooler would be a good idea.....Thanks....Bill

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If it has the towing package it will include the transmission cooler. If not, it never hurts to have one. My 2013 had the tow package and cooler.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
If you purchase with the factory tow package installed then you've got nothing to worry as it's going to be included so nothing to worry about for overheating, even over monster mountain passes.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I did this for another thread on here, but this is the datasheet for the 2014 Tacoma and I've outlined towing on here.

toyotasrule

100 Posts
What part of the country are you looking to do your towing at? You said mountains and for some people the hills in Georgia are mountains, other people want something to climb up the former mount McKinnley, now Denali.

Bill

thank you to everyone for your responses, I really appreciate the information. I plan to circumnavigate the US, starting from the west coast, in about 2 years. The term "mountains" to me include the Cascade range, the Rockies but after the "big trip" I plan to use it frequently for going back and forth over the Coast range in Oregon.....thanks again to all......Regards....Bill

Related Content You Might Like: