• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Gas Mileage

clr8ter

So I'm considering getting a '12 Tacoma. (4x4, auto, access cab) I'm slightly concerned about the gas mileage. The salesman I spoke to yesterday said that not only is the sticker pretty accurate (19-21 4 cyl., 18-20 6 cyl., I think), but that really, the 6 cyl. gets as good gas mileage as the 4. Which makes no sense. Also, the 4 cyl. motor seems to be slightly underpowered for the truck in the auto trans.

Anyone have any thoughts or hard opinions on this? ACTUAL gas mileages, and opinions of the 4 cal. motor paired with the auto trans?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The V6 does get as good as the I4, for the very reason you mentioned, underpowered with the I4. Newer Tacoma trucks gained a little weight with the latest generation and while the I4 was a great choice for the first gen Tacoma and trucks prior to it the newest generation needs to go on a diet to make this a good engine choice again.
As far as the auto trans that doesnt really have a lot of affect on performance when compared against the manual trans, Toyota did a great job designing this auto and it will hold its own against the manuals.
As much as I love Toyota trucks, I own a 99 and a 91 right now, and had brand new 94, 92, 88, 86, 83, and 81 trucks, I chose a different manufacturer for my latest truck because I wanted something with more room that returned at or near the same fuel mileage as the Toyota, unfortunately Toyota hasnt made high fuel mileage a priority in the truck line-up.

clr8ter

So your opinion is that cost of the 6 compared to the 4 is the only reason to buy one or not? Anybody else?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If you can afford the estra expense buy it, you'll be happier in the long run.

jiau

but you means
is that cost of the 6 compared to the 4 is the only reason to buy one or not?wow

cbsarefun

I just bought a 2013 regular cab, 4 cyl, 5 speed, 4x4 tacoma. I have 30 miles shy of 1000 miles on the truck. I have had 23 to 25.8 miles per gallon for the break-in. I don't feel that is to bad a milage for a brand new truck. I just put a tonneau cover on it and hope to get a couple of miles to a gallon more. I am very happy with the 4 cyl.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I just bought a 2013 regular cab, 4 cyl, 5 speed, 4x4 tacoma. I have 30 miles shy of 1000 miles on the truck. I have had 23 to 25.8 miles per gallon for the break-in. I don't feel that is to bad a milage for a brand new truck. I just put a tonneau cover on it and hope to get a couple of miles to a gallon more. I am very happy with the 4 cyl.
That's a great truck! Looking forward to learning how you do with the tonneau cover.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Interesting rereading these threads from just a couple of years ago.

Related Content You Might Like: