• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota Tire Rotation - every 5000 miles ?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm guilty of not rotating my tires according to the tire manufacturer's recommendations. Anyone do this on a regular basis and do you see extra life in your tires when you do this? Just curious, it does seem to be something that does make sense, but I'm wondering what the real world implications are of regular tire rotation.

Toyota-Tacoma-Tires.jpg

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
On my wifes car I didnt do tire rotation for the last set of tires and they only lasted 41k miles, 50k mile tires, but I've rarely seen tires last the rated mileage even when properly rotated.
On my Tacoma I rotate the tires at or before the recomended mileage of 7500 and in 141k miles I'm on the third set of tires, the first two lasted 50k + and this third set looks tready to go as far as 55k or 60k, we'll see.

tarheel

I am also bad about not rotating my ties as much as I should. The main issue you can get is if your truck is out of alignment at all, you will get localized wear on certain parts of the tire, that can really shorten the lifespan of the tire. Rotating helps spread out that wear and allow the tire to last longer.

Only real issue I have had is that.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The Tacoma was running 35" M/S tires for the second set, they were real soft compound, add to that the fact that tire's above 32" are normally hard to get and keep balanced, so I expected them to wear quickly, but they surprised me by lasting 52k, I really only changed the set because the wife got a flat on them and tore the tire up getting off the highway, luckily just the tire and not my (at the time) new beadlock wheels.
The three good tires are still in use at this time on a friends off-road trailer, he rotates them after every trip and has managed to squeek another 6k out of them so far, and they still have some decent tread left.
That factor alone was the biggest reason I stayed with the same brand tire when buying my new set, I just went to a less aggressive all terraign tread since the truck see's less off-road now days.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I probably forget to rotate my tires on a regular basis ... all the time. I'd guess that I do it maybe every 10k miles. ???

tarheel

I have had mechanics try and tell me it should be done every 5-7k, but that seems like way overkill to me. 10k is usually a safe bet if you drive it a moderate amount.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
what gets me is that they do it for free at discount tire companies, so there's no reason for them to overstate how often it should be done or why I should not get it done either.

tarheel

I think, even with the discount tire companies, they suggest people come in between new tires to get rotations, and those times it costs money. Or maybe they are using it as a way to sell more services.

All I know is when they bring it up, I always feel like I am being pitched a service just for the sell and not because I need it.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Like Tarheel says it may not cost you anything but it's another chance to get under your hood and try to sell you something else.
It's the same way with their low priced oil changes, if they can get under your hood chances are they can find something that needs fixing/replacing and that's gonna cost ya.

tarheel

Or something that can convince you needs replacing even when it doesn't.

For my money, while I use the discount places for routine work, any time I have a real issue I take it to a mechanic I trust. Those are not the people you want actually working on the important stuff.

Something that has always bugged me about their recommendations for stuff that "needs" to be fixed, is that in 25+ years of driving, I have ALWAYS been told there was something that urgently needed to be fixed by those places. What are the odds of stuff being wrong that many times?

antonino

100 Posts
I don't know. I just change tires everytime I can see it needs changing. And it just happened years ago. Truck tires last longer, depending on the use.

balihaisen

100 Posts
I think, as long as you take care of your truck and you don't overload it, your tires are fine. Just check it from time to time, if its running a bit creepy.

toyotasrule

100 Posts
5,000 miles is what's usually recommended. Although many these days don't do it at all, or do it like every 10k.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
When my truck got service from the dealership, they have require me tire rotation on 30,000 miles..

which is I always don't do it by myself

TM13TM

TTC Chicks
My husband is not the world's best on tire rotations but my dad was a stickler about it. So, I get concerned when we do not do it by the book. So, my goal right now is to do a tire rotation every 5000 miles.

James

100 Posts
Do people serious rotate tires every 5000 miles?
I rotate my tires every 20,000 miles.

Huck Norris

In theory, rotating the tires isn't going to extend the life of tires beyond belief in most vehicles, it's just going to remove the possibility that an alignment issue will wear part of a tire prematurely.

Related Content You Might Like: