• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Fuel tank capacity on Toyota Tacoma

LairdBrother

The gas tank size for the 2012 toyota tacoma is just over 21 gallons. The 2012 toyota tacoma gets apx 19mpg in the city and apx 24mpg on the highway. I am not sure what you mean by reserve, can you explain?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I think that when people talk about "reserve" they generally mean that even though the fuel capacity is 21 gallons (or whatever), the fuel gauge will show "E"mpty and will start to signal the driver to find fuel quickly when there is still maybe 3 or even 4 gallons of fuel left. So the driver pulls over to a service station, and only can put 18 gallons into the 21 gallon tank. So there is a "reserve" of a couple of gallons.

RobertJC

Thanks for the replies. I had tried searching for the answer online but was getting conflicting answers. That reserve I guess is a built in safety feature but its annoying because I can never know for sure how many miles I can safely go when it shows im on empty.

ToyotaTruckTrends

100 Posts
That's great if you the reserve fuel capacity is 10 liters you can go for 60Km more if your truck fuel consumption is 10Km/L

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Most manufacturers hold a "reserve" of a couple of gallons in their tank after reading "empty". This is similar to turning your clock ahead 15 minutes so that you always arrive on time to an event, eventually you know that you moved the clocks forward and you adjust in your mind for it.

Another reason for the reason why manufactures leave fuel in the tank when it's reading empty, and I believe this started with Honda in the 70's or 80's (just not to the degree that it's done today), is because they don't want their vehicles sitting on the side of the road and the average person driving by will think that the car broke down, instead of running out of gas.

Related Content You Might Like: