• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Widespread Failure to install Relay for Trailer Backup Lights

dan karig

I searched and didn't see a thread about this anywhere here so I thought I'd bring it up. After discovering that the trailer backup lights didn't work with my 2010 4wd TRD Sport I confirmed the problem was in the truck not the trailer. Long story short is that Toyota failed to install the needed relay to run the trailer backup lights. I found this out over at Tacoma World, confirmed that mine was missing the relay, replaced it and voila, trailer b/u lights are working. This seems to affect many Tacos for several years around 2010. The relay should be in a socket behind the glovebox, just to the right of the cabin filter box. If yours is missing, I'd love to hear back from you. I think Toyota needs to do something about this because if you are not aware of the situation, you can spend a lot of time and frustration trying to chase this one down, believe me, I did.

Anybody else? Even if you don't have a trailer with b/u lights, if your Taco has the factory towing package, that relay should have been included and Toyota needs to know about it so they can issue a notification at least to their service depts.

dan karig

Yup, really. Just so happened that my wife's folks were visiting in their 2011 Taco OffRoad (with tow package) when I discovered the Tacoma World thread and missing relay story. I ran outside and checked and sure enough theirs was missing the relay as well. It is a widespread problem.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm trying to learn more about this @dan karig what is the part number?

If that doesn't fix it, check the backup lamp relay. If you pull the glovebox out, it's to the left of the two ECUs. It has one each of green, red, yellow, and white/black wires connected to its socket.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, looks like a very rare production error from Toyota where they didn't put the relay in for the vehicles that need it. This is a head scratcher.

... several people said Toyota forgot to install a relay in many trucks with the tow package. They showed the location behind the glovebox and bingo, mine is missing that relay. I plan to hassle Toyota today but if I get no help from them, which is what I expect, I will buy the relay online. I'm almost positive based on other peoples' experience that this will work for me as well./QUOTE]

dan karig

Lots more $$ from Toyota than from lots of other sources.
To me it's not so much the cost of the part, it's more the effort that goes into figuring out what's wrong and expense people are paying to have it diagnosed and fixed, often by Toyota I assume. That's why I feel that Toyota needs to step up and make it right. Won't help me, I already fixed mine.

You're in Santa Fe? I'm in Pojoaque.

Jarred

100 Posts
Gonna pass this tip to a new neighbor here with a Taco. Not sure if he already got it as he is already towing a 5th wheel.

Related Content You Might Like: