• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Issues regarding Carburetor Swap--1984 22R engine

IronHorseDriver

Hello Folks,

Last autumn, I swapped the carburetor (with a rebuilt unit from Rock Auto) in my stepfather's 1984 Toyota Motorhome. It has the 22R engine with about 75,000 miles on it. We are located in the US so it has the standard US emissions equipment for that model year. Given it's age, when I made the swap I replaced all of the vacuum tubing--all 59 miles of it LOL.

It started and idled good, and we were able to run the RPMs up to the high range (while sitting) with no problems. However, when we took it on the road it would hesitate and almost stall when I would accelerate with the gas pedal in the middle range. It would accelerate if I floored it, and it maintained speed on level ground, but the hesitation while accelerating is bothersome.

While swapping the carburetors, I was very careful to mark the vacuum hoses so they would be placed in the proper locations in the new carb.

Since I live 400 miles from my stepfather's home, and was limited in the amount of time I could spend there, I did not have the time to troubleshoot and possibly find solutions to this problem last October. I plan on visiting him next week and hope to try to fix this once and for all.

If anyone would have suggestions that I can try, I would appreciate it. One possibility might be the distributor advance; can someone suggest what to do to see if that is the problem (please note that this motorhome had not been used in quite a few years so there may have been dry rot of rubber/flexible parts)? There are multiple adjustments on the carburetor; should I try one or more of them?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Sean

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hey, my first thought was also the possibility might be the distributor advance issue, since you're talking about engine issues under a load at speed. Could also be some fuel/air issues as well.

What type of setup did you move to/from in the drivetrane? 22R to 22R? Did you use all of the existing bolt-ons to the engine from the original? What's new and what's reused?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Did you check carb jet sizes?
I remember a difference int the jets btwn the 1T chassis and 1/2t chassis.
And as you quiried there could be vacume leaks.
A can of carb cleaner carefully sprayed around suspect areas will find that problem.
Dont forget hoses and seals around the brakes and trans, they use vacume and affect performance too.
Shouldnt be a tining set issue, but verify timing advance while running.
check the carb gasket, 22r carb gaskets were terrible for leaks.

IronHorseDriver

Success! When I went to visit, I was able to find a bad plug wire. So, after a quick trip to the local parts store for new wires, distributor cap, and rotor (the cap and rotor did not look bad but it is cheap insurance), and a quick install, the engine started right up and ran beautifully :)

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Success! When I went to visit, I was able to find a bad plug wire. So, after a quick trip to the local parts store for new wires, distributor cap, and rotor (the cap and rotor did not look bad but it is cheap insurance), and a quick install, the engine started right up and ran beautifully :)
There you go, reminds me of buying an old GMC pickup when I was a kid and it ran terribly so I got it for a steal. Just had to replace the plugs and she fired right up and never had a problem after that.

What did that tune-up-of-sorts set you back?

Related Content You Might Like: