• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Brake light works but not the tail light - help!

kck98

I have a 1996 Toyota T-100 and my pass side tail light burned out. I replaced the bulb, but now the bulb only works when the brake is pressed.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

Matt in KC

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
What bulb did you replace it with? Swap bulbs with the one from the side that works and see what happens, you might have the wrong bulb, otherwise there's a short for the taillight portion of the circuitry hat's not present in the brake light circuit.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Has the wiring harness been tampered with back there? Light wiring usually not a issue but if someone has cut into harness to wire trailer hookup that may be letting the gremlins in. Remove light lens see if its all good behind there. I know I have wired trailer lights directly from tail lights

kck98

No I checked the harness today and nothing looks out of place, no frayed wires, no holes in the wire jacketing. I do have a hitch but it was put on years ago before I ever had the truck and this light was never been a problem until now. I'm not sure what to do

Crazy8

Sounds like an issue with the wiring. Have you had someone give it a look over? I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you know auto electrics.

Related Content You Might Like: