• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Noise from Speedometer or It's Cable

I own a 1991 two wheel drive Toyota pickup (no tach). I'm getting a sheesh, sheesh, sheesh type sound coming from one or the other that corresponds in rate to the speed of the truck. It doesn't begin until I've driven the truck for about a mile and something then heats up and expands I guess. The noise also corresponds to the tempo of the speedometer which jumps up and down until about 45 mph at which point it becomes steady. Can't find anything in the FSM on routing of the cable which seems like a likely culprit. Where does it terminate opposite the speedometer and can it be lubed? Thanks!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yes it can be lubed, and this sounds a lot like a dry speedo cable.
You have to dismantle the dash and remove the cable at the back of the cluster.
I recomend a tephlon dry lube or graphite be blown down the speedo cable, these two types of lube dont attract dirt or other debris like a lube with petroleum that attracts contaminants and causes issues later on.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I own a 1991 two wheel drive Toyota pickup (no tach). I'm getting a sheesh, sheesh, sheesh type sound coming from one or the other that corresponds in rate to the speed of the truck. It doesn't begin until I've driven the truck for about a mile and something then heats up and expands I guess. The noise also corresponds to the tempo of the speedometer which jumps up and down until about 45 mph at which point it becomes steady. Can't find anything in the FSM on routing of the cable which seems like a likely culprit. Where does it terminate opposite the speedometer and can it be lubed? Thanks!
Have you worked on this yet this week?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Try the tephlon dry lube. We tried the graphite and it was not successful. I have had experience with noisy cable on '89, '91 and '95 Toyota trucks. Its frigging annoying. If mine starts acting up on my road trip next week I will disconnect. I disconnected speedo on my '95 and drove it for 6 years without one.

Related Content You Might Like: