• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota Sequoia Towing

ryn4958

Hi -

I have a 2013 Sequoia and would like to purchase a toy hauler. The trailer will weigh around 6000 dry and be around 900lb on the tongue.

Can the Sequoia handle it, perhaps it might be to much tongue weight, maybe I'll need air bags...

Looking for any insight from someone towing a trailer with a newer Seq.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hey @ryn4958. The Sequoia's built to handle all of that, that's one of the reasons that it was made, it could never compete if in fact it were not made to haul big & heavy trailers.

I can't remember the specifics on it, but doesn't it come standard with the towing package? If not, does your Sequoia have the factory tow package?

Otherwise, it's got nearly an 7500# towing rating, again if memory serves me correctly. Toyota has always dramatically under-rated the towing (at least on other vehicles like they Tundra they have) so it just all depends on how heavy you expect it to be when it's all loaded down. What it comes to a Toy Hauler you have dry weight, wet weight and then also wet+toys weight. How much are you going to load into this thing? Is it like a camping trailer that has a room for toys on the back of it?

What's the make/model of your toy hauler? What are you going to put into it and what do you think the overall wet+toy weight will be?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The Toyota website shows the towing capacity at 7400 lbs, let me dig for a minute to find the tongue weight. They show an image of the Sequoia towing an Airstream trailer.

I have emailed Toyota's PR firm (see the screenshot that I just sent them below) to see if they can get some more images on this and I'll ask them about the tongue weight for the Sequoia as well if I'm not able to find it online on my own.

Click this link and go to Towing ... http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/#!/Welcome

upload_2014-5-28_11-17-38.png

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
@ryn4958 ... one more thing, what trim level/edition of the Sequoia do you have? The platinum has a few extra things, but I think that maybe one of our vendors like @Counterpart could pull up the full list of what you do and do-not have on your vehicle (from the factory) if you were to send them your VIN.

ryn4958

Hey @ryn4958. The Sequoia's built to handle all of that, that's one of the reasons that it was made, it could never compete if in fact it were not made to haul big & heavy trailers.

I can't remember the specifics on it, but doesn't it come standard with the towing package? If not, does your Sequoia have the factory tow package?

Otherwise, it's got nearly an 7500# towing rating, again if memory serves me correctly. Toyota has always dramatically under-rated the towing (at least on other vehicles like they Tundra they have) so it just all depends on how heavy you expect it to be when it's all loaded down. What it comes to a Toy Hauler you have dry weight, wet weight and then also wet+toys weight. How much are you going to load into this thing? Is it like a camping trailer that has a room for toys on the back of it?

What's the make/model of your toy hauler? What are you going to put into it and what do you think the overall wet+toy weight will be?
Thanks for the info. Im looking to pull a toy hauler,
18ft
dry weight 5000
tongue weight 700
with a dirt bike, fuel etc...6500lbs

I am not worried about the power to pull it. My concern ishort Sequoia wheelbase and lack of payload rating at 1300
here is the trailer I'm looking at http://www.attitude-toyhaulers.com/a...toyhaulers.htm

I have 2013 SR5. it does have a "tow button" which i think changes the gearing or the way the power is delivered along with a factory hitch. Also how do I know if my SR5 has Sway Control (VSC)?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
OK. The tow button means that you're set for towing.

The Sequoia SR5 package can handle a tongue weight of 1000 for the 2wd model and a little less for the 4wd model.

Also, here is the complete towing profile on the vehicle. I also included the payload and curb weight for your reference, as well.

SR5 5.7

(2WD/4WD)

LIMITED 5.7

(2WD/4WD)

PLATNIUM 5.7

(2WD/4WD)

Towing Capacity*

7,400/7,100

7,300/7,100

7,200/7,000

Maximum Tongue Weight

1,000/960

950/910

910/880

Payload

1,350/1,250

1,350/1,250

1,330/1,235

Curb Weight

5,730/5,985

5,730/5,985

5,745/6,045

* According to the SAE J2807 towing standard

Spitfisher

3600 trailer, gear and boat....2005 sequoai 2WD, nice fresh tires, should I have any problem pulling the boat/trailer up the wet not super steep ramp? i can't imagine I would, anyone out there with simular experince? ( sorry for the hijack)

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
3600 trailer, gear and boat....2005 sequoai 2WD, nice fresh tires, should I have any problem pulling the boat/trailer up the wet not super steep ramp? i can't imagine I would, anyone out there with simular experince? ( sorry for the hijack)
How steep a ramp? How good is your rubber? Its all Relative.

Diane1955

You will need a good weight distributing hitch with sway control, like an Andersen or Equalizer. The tongue weight of your trailer should be 10-15% of the loaded weight, for stable towing. The weight distribution will remove some of that tongue weight from the hitch receiver/rear axle, and distribute it back to the Seq front axle & trailer axle.

I wouldn't depend on the built-in sway control (if you have it) for a trailer that heavy.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
You will need a good weight distributing hitch with sway control, like an Andersen or Equalizer. The tongue weight of your trailer should be 10-15% of the loaded weight, for stable towing. The weight distribution will remove some of that tongue weight from the hitch receiver/rear axle, and distribute it back to the Seq front axle & trailer axle.

I wouldn't depend on the built-in sway control (if you have it) for a trailer that heavy.
Good point, i've always used a weight distribution hitch with sway control and it really does make a difference!

Related Content You Might Like: