• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

need advice on buying a '91 toyota truck

rockgod5150

Hi :) im new to the forums and came here asking some advice on a '91 toyota truck im intrested in buying. Heres a link to the add so you can see the pics of it: https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/5081549716.htm
and here is what the add says: 91 Toyota pickup 4x4 manual Big tires Electric fan K&n air filter Extended cab Sub woofers, aftermarket door speakers and deck professionally installed.
Well maintained Has troubles getting in first sometimes. And it has 200000 miles on it

i talked him down to 2000$ for it. After talking to him there are a few more issues. Transmission has trouble getting into first and reverse, he said he has a clutch kit for it he will give me. There is no hood he said it got bent so im guessing it was in an accident. He said it had a rebuilt motor and heads but has no receipts a mechanic buddy did it for him. It is also not smogged and tags were up in febuary but he said it should pass smog and he has the original intake for it. he said he drives it daily not sure if i believe him though since its not tagged or smogged. Since i talked him down to $2000 he is going to keep the sub and its amp but leave the deck and door speakers.
So what do you think is this truck worth 2000$ or does it sound to risky. I want to put a new transmission in and get a 3.4 crate motor to swap in but id have to take it to a shop and have them do it. i curretly have 4000$ saved towards a truck so im not sure if i should just keep saving and get a Tacoma or take the plunge on this.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Craigslist page not found for me.
If your Spidey sense is telling you something it might be best to listen.
Your in Ca. if the smog has issues you could be caught in legal hell trying to get the truck registered.
I remember something about Ca. law requiring the sellor of a vehicle to have it legally licensed and inspected.
If your really interested in this truck you might check that.
otherwise walk and look for another truck.

rockgod5150

https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/5081549716.html

i guess i missed the l at the end. Yeah im in california. Im having second thoughts but at the same time its hard finding a toyota for under 4000$ but i think i should just keep looking. The add has been up for 21 days now and he didnt even try to haggle when i offered him 2000$ cash in hand for it so those are kind of red flags. Ill probably just save and try and get an older Tacoma. Im not a mechanic by any means so i have no idea what to look for as far as wear and tear or common issues. I just know i want a little toyota 4x4 in manual. Im not in a rush to buy anything the bus is dependable but it would be nice to find something sooner rather than later.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
It's been 20 years since I've spent any real time in Ca. I'm sure that you can buy it but you can't drive it until you get it inspected by the state office, which used to be a big deal, just like you built it yourself.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The truck needs a lot of work. Hood missing...WTF was he doing to the truck. Trucks that have been off roaded can be pretty sketchy. Is the frame bent? The work required can all be done by you with the help of some you tubes but there are quite a few hours involved. Paying $4000 for a good running and roadworthy truck is much better option than a $2000 project JMHO

hippie13gcid

Run, do not walk away from that. Beat feet! Won't pass emissions? Run away! It's a thrashed POS! Oh Yeah, Avoid any thing like that! I found myself a really cherry '90 4Runner for $2000 18 mo ago. I had $3,500 to spend. Guy showed me a rig that was freshly detailed, inside, out and under, showed me receipts less than a yr old for new radiator, water pump, timing belt, hozes and belts, steering parts, shocks, brakes,and more. Totaled $1,300 bucks.
He wanted $2,400. It sat on 4 maypop bald tires. The Stereo was dead. Otherwise it was loaded with all the factory options U might want and I didn't need. Ya, Pwr windows, locks, outside pwr mirrors, sunroof, U name the gedunk, all it was missing was leather heated seats. Told him it gonna cost me like $600 to put 4 tires on it. and another $400 for a decent stereo. I offered him $2,000 cash right there and he accepted it. Ya Ok, it was the only one I found in 5 mo of looking that had a 5 speed manual tranny. OH Jeeze, what's with all these folks that can't shift their own gears? It drove and stopped straight even with bald tires. Yep had options I wanted, Roof Rack, Running boards, Rear spare tire mount, Under body skid plates, Shift on the fly 4WD with posi in the rear axle and transfer case, Oh yeah, some stuff I didn't want, antilock brakes on the rear. And all the Pwr crap. OK. It's a wussy 4WD. It passes emissions better than a new 2015 new one. It's got 209,000 miles on it. I had the local dealer check it out, it's had all the updates and recalls corrected. I'm the third owner. Ya it's a glorified 4 door 4WD station wagon. I kinda like it. It's all I expected it to be and maybe more. Or somewhat less. Highway MPG is disappointing at 15.5 Mpg. Off road 4WD Hi range MPG approaches 20MPG , surprized hell outa me! It likes the backroad mtn boonies. Now that wimpy 3.0 V6 is a lot underpowered for a rig that crosses the scales at 4,250 lb. 160 HP less than acceptable for that no matter if it runs like new or not. Kick on the AC and instantly lose about 25 HP. Wanna pass on the highway? Better shift down outa 5th gear and kill the AC or takes several miles. Ya wimpy! Much better off road. done some pretty steep and nasty stuff with it and never needed low range 4WD yet. Ya well maybe that sez something about the tires I bought it. Maybe it's just designed for boonies over pavement.

Maybe U can find a USED toyota as good as I found for $2,000. I hope U do. Meanwhile I will enjoy the Hell outa mine!

Related Content You Might Like: