• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tundra vs. Tacoma for 4x4 off-roading

SRL

Hi. This question is probably directed at folks who have owned (or have off-road experience) with both the Tacoma 4x4 and Tundra 4x4.

I've owned 2WD Tundras for work/utility vehicles only. Never had a 4x4 Tundra. All of the off-road recreational stuff I've done with a Toyota -- including some fairly aggressive 4 wheeling -- has been with a Tacoma 4x4. The narrow wheel base, lift, aggressive tires, good visibility, etc. all seem to lend itself very well to technical off-road terrain (narrow trails, hill climbs, creeks..) and obstacles (rocks, trees, mud, snow ..). I'm thinking about replacing my 8 year old Tacoma SR5 4x4 with a new or newer (~1-2 yr old) Tundra. The bigger size looks nice for carrying people and cargo (ATVs..), but for more technical off-road 4x4 fun, how does it perform vs. a similarly equipped Tundra? I know this question is not straight fwd to answer, so maybe just let me know if you have a strong bias one way or the other around solely the technical off-road 4x4 performance of one over the other.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What do you mean "fairly aggressive" off roading? Like courses, trails, competitions, or just out on your own our with a small group?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Ive owned a Tundra, 2011, and Tacoma's 1999 and 2012, all were 4wd, and for a few months I had all three in the driveway together.
I prefered the Tacomas for off road, and the Tundra for longer road trips and towing.
The size of a Tacoma coupled with power to weight ratio and abilities makes it a great off road rig.
Unfortunately it shorter length also makes it less of a comfortable tow rig.

dirtydeeds

Gold Vendor
100 Posts
The type of off roading will certainly play a major role in what would work best.

If you're in Southern CA you could use either truck, its just a matter of how much $$ you want to spend and how fast you want to go.

if you're on more technical stuff with smaller trails obviously the Taco would work best.

Anyway to post a video of the type of off roading you intend to do?

Here's what I do:

[youtube]/-U85O8xumIM[/youtube]

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
The type of off roading will certainly play a major role in what would work best.

If you're in Southern CA you could use either truck, its just a matter of how much $$ you want to spend and how fast you want to go.

if you're on more technical stuff with smaller trails obviously the Taco would work best.

Anyway to post a video of the type of off roading you intend to do?

Here's what I do:

[youtube]/-U85O8xumIM[/youtube]

That's really impressive stuff.

Lion77789

For off-roading, I prefered the Tacomas.
Tundra is a very reliable vehicle. Its towing capacity is impressive. For example, the 2010 model had no limits for towing. It can hold even a trailer))
source

Jarred

100 Posts
I tried my close buddy's taco for off road felt better and more appropriate for its size.

Related Content You Might Like: