• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Attn: 22-RE lovers - what's a boy to do?

Mat Rad

So, I'll spare the full sob story, but basically my 1994 Toy Pickup (4x2, 2.4, 22RE, Standard bed) with only 136K original miles on it was brutally rear-ended over the weekend. Turns out the offending driver is uninsured and I don't have collision insurance to cover it. Repair estimates are well over the Blue Book value, so it's clearly a total loss. It's still drivable and otherwise in great condition but the bumper, tailgate and bed ass'y. are totally compromised.

It's just a crying shame because, as those of you familiar with these models are probably aware, I could easily get another 10 years out of that sweet engine - and was planning on doing so until I got so rudely smashed up. Cosmetically, she's not in the best shape and a lot of the original plastic hardware has broken down, but this truck is such a tough workhorse.

I guess I'm just trying to get some insight as to what people think would be a reasonable deal for someone who might be interested in investing in it as a reclamation project - knowing the longevity of what's under the hood. I've thought about scavenging for a replacement box and bumper or retrofitting for a wood bed/flatbed or something, but I'd rather put time and money in a newer Toyota. That being said, can anyone explain how people can list (CL, for example) older Toy trucks with much more mileage for so much more than what they're traditionally valued at? I'm a newbie here so tell me how it is! I just know I loved this truck and she made me a Toyota truck lifer. (Apologies, not sure how to make the photo not upside-down)
Thanks!
IMG_0221.JPG

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hope you're ok, that looks like a big crunch, probably frame damage and more. :-( What happened?

Mat Rad

I'm ok, physically (pretty sure). Was just minding my own business when I got slammed by an inattentive teenager, who happened to submit 3 years expired insurance on a vehicle registered to a recently deceased person. Weird story. Currently pursuing legal avenues to see if I can get some kind of compensation (doubt it). Incidentally, if anyone has experienced an accident scenario similar to this I'd be interested to hear about it.

Yeah, truck bed got pretty crunched up from impact with bumper. Body shop gave me a rough write-up of $5K for box/bumper replacement (frame apparently not repairable). For that I'd get a newer used Toy, obviously.

Related Content You Might Like: