• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Instrument cluster removal ~ Toyota T100

SPT100

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on the removal of my T100 instrument cluster. I need to replace one of the bulbs, and will probably replace them all since it is such a pain to access them. I have followed my Haynes manual instructions, but for some reason I can not get the instrument cluster free. So far all the finish panels have been removed and the four screws holding in the cluster itself are out. I can't really see behind the cluster and I do not want to just yank it out. I suspect there are cables attached to the transmission for the odometer and power for the other gauges, but I just can't find a way to get it removed. Youtube has not helped, nor have general online searches.

I'd love to hear how to do this if anyone here has taken on that task.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Can you reach behind the dash to see if you can disconnect any cables? Is it loose and just won't come all of the way out, or is it firm in place like you're missing some screws?

SPT100

The four screws are out. It feels as though there is a cable or something attached from behind. I can't get my big hands back there to feel around. Kind of weird driving around with a dismantled dashboard.

SPT100

Well, I was finally able to get that instrument cluster out. There are four wire harness clips attached to the back, as well as the speedometer cable. The harnesses are similar to all the other plastic electrical clips other than they are wider and a little easier to disconnect. They are disconnected from the top of the cluster. The hard part is reaching the speedometer cable. I was able to pull the cluster out, angle it inward on the right side, and then reach way back and release the speedometer cable. NOW I can't get that stupid speedometer cable back on. I need to drive the truck while I wait for replacement bulbs to come in, and I need to have functioning gauges and turn signals. It's satisfying to fix things myself, but sometimes the process is maddening, frustrating, etc. Wish me luck!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Oh that stinks. I wonder if the techs have a tool for doing that. Must be a trick to it all coming out. Take pics if you can.

Last edited:

SPT100

Everything is all better! Once I finally pulled off all the exterior trim and unbolted the instrument cluster, including the steering wheel and the (for lack of a better term) steering shaft cover, I was able to manipulate the instrument cluster. I pulled it out slightly, angled it inward on the right side, pushed in back in at that angle, and then was able to access the four electrical connections at the top, as well as the speedometer cable connection from the left side. Getting the connections off wasn't too hard, but putting them back was difficult. I replaced the bulbs in the cluster and put everything back. Ultimately my wife was able to help out by reaching back and snapping-in the speedometer cable. My hands and forearms are too big to be able to manipulate the cable in such a tight space. I could connect the cable, but not click it in place. It kept falling off and frustrating me. After the third time of my wife asking if she could try, I relented with a slight roll of the eyes. "Go ahead. Give it your best shot" (jackass coming out). Much to my surprise, she had the thing connected in seconds, and my only move at that point was to thank her, apologize, and make her dinner. It all worked out in the end, and now my dash looks "factory new", particularly at night. If you take on this project you will need time, patience, and if you have large hands/forearms, a smaller assistant.

jffgrdnr

Just out of curiosity, what was the bulb like? What I mean is, was it a clear bulb that the cluster shows through colored glass? Did you have any sort of color option when you ordered it? I've been curious whether it would be possible to change the color of my cluster light. I'd really like a blue to match my interior.

SPT100

The bulbs are standard clear which can be obtained at any automotive parts store. There are thin rubber caps that give them their color which can be found online. Make sure you get the right size for your bulb. I was going to do the exact same thing with blue, but then my head gasket blew and I am looking to scrap the truck. She's been good, but I just can't sink the money into her and don't have the time or energy to do a head gasket job on a V6. Good luck.

Related Content You Might Like: