• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota is a truck?

hippie13gcid

I'm sorry and not trying to offend anyone at all but I was raised on a farm in the 50's. I think I may have grown up with a bit more herkey definition of truck than I see here on this site. Back in my day a "Truck" had at least 6 tires on the ground. It had to be rated to GVW 10,000+. It didn't have a 4 door cab and a crappy 6 foot bed. It was meant to haul cargo NOT people. I got older and more educated if not wiser and bought a new rig in 1971. I bought a "Pickup" not yet a truck, it only had 4 tires on the ground. It was a Chevy. It was rated at 10,000 GVW. Pretty orange paint, 2WD, High pro 4 bolt mainbearing 350 small block V8 with Corvette 194 heads. 275 HP 4bbl carb single exaust, 4 speed granny low tranny and 8 lug 16 inch split rim wheels. still just a pickup........one step down from a 6 wheel truck. Long wide 8 foot cargo bed behind the cab.......still a pickup.....4 tires U know. LO and behold I buy an old 1990 Toyota 4 Runner all these years later on 4 wimpier wheels and tires than that chevy and every body on this site is calling it a truck. NOT in my book. It's a glorified station wagon with 4 doors, 4WD and wussy pwr door locks,windows and mirrors and tilt wheel and cruise control and weighs almost the same as that one ton Chevy PU, powered by a V6 with about half the HP at about the same MPG and won't haul half the weight. I REFUSE to call it a Truck!. Yet I, like it. ya it's a wuss wagon, If I was serious about a 4WD I would restore a WW2 Dodge Pwr Wagon. or maybe throw a small block chevy motor into a late 60's Toyota land cruiser. I like the 4 Runner......I just don't like you folks calling it and worse examples like say a Honda Odessy or a Furd exploder a ":Truck" Rubs me wrong when I hear any 4 tire vehicle called a truck. Call me an old grouch if ya want but I just had to say this.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Watch much Simon and Simon?

My dad had an old '62 or '63 Power Wagon when I was a kid, I've always had a fondness for any of the 60's to early 80's Dodge PW trucks, even though they're nothing compared to modern day trucks.

XSPTundra

I would consider a truck with 6 wheels maybe a heavy duty truck or dually. I Drive my truck with 10 tires on the ground when I'm not pulling a trailer and still consider my Tundra a truck

BaxterThomas

I’d say it’s more than a truck. Toyota is a way of life. You’ll understand that the minute you first drive one. You’ll be hooked for life after you do.

hippie13gcid

Ya, Baxter, I agree that it's easy to become "Hooked" on a Toyota. At least on some of them. I doubt I would fall madly for say a Prius.
After 30 years of owning and driving exclusively large, powerful American cars and pickup trucks I thought I needed something with better fuel economy. I also wanted something kinda "Sporty" with good handling characteristics. I concluded a Celica would be my choice and went looking for an affordable used one. I found a well used 1979 GT hatchback Custom for $800. Never regretted that choice. Fun to drive, good on gas, easy to maintain. Had it for about 3 years when my landlord's diseased, neglected elm tree fell across it. Smashed it pretty flat. Boy was I mad! Felt worse than as if somebody had shot my dog. Threatened him with a negligence lawsuit and his insurance company paid me more than I gave for it. It took nearly 5 months to find one to replace it. Very few used Celicas for sale in my area....folks like them and keep them. I finally found a 1978 GT hatchback nearly 400 miles from me and went and bought it. It needed some work but had over 30K less miles on it than the '79 and I had kept the wreck as a parts source, which worked great! Paid $799 for that one. Took the alloy wheels and good tires, the entire smog system, most of the dashboard instruments, carburetor, radiator, alternator, and other small pts off the '79 and improved the 78 with them. I've put over 80K miles on it in the last 10 years or so. Had to replace the original factory clutch at 160K miles and the radiator, water pump, head gasket, and exhaust manifold at 180K miles. Still running strong with 210K miles even after hitting a large mule deer requiring replacement of hood, grille, rt front fender and headlights. It's not pretty as most of it is only painted in primer and the replaced hood and fender kind of a yellowish tan. It gets around in the woods very well for a 2WD but sits low and won't haul quite enuf gear for extended camping and fishing trips. I have taken it places where the 4WD folks all asked me how the hell I got there.
That brings me to my third Toyota. With part of my inheritance from my dad I went looking for a better camping rig. Yep, had to be a Toyota. Had to be a Manual transmission (I will drive an automatic only after my clutch foot is amputated). Had to be under the $3,500 in the last inheritance check. Again it took a few months of looking as stick shift models are WAY fewer than automatics. I considered a few pickups but really had my mind set on a 4 Runner. I got the one described earlier in this thread for $2,000 cash. Freshly Detailed, Near perfect mechanically, Needed tires and a stereo as the only big ticket items. Got a little under $3k invested total. Runs and drives like new, near 209,000 mi on it. A real gentleman's 4WD. I'm very well pleased with it although it use about 75 more HP.
You said Toyota for life. You may be right in my case. I don't anticipate needing to buy another car before I die. Still have the '78 Celica GT for making 30 yr newer cars with twice or more the HP look stupid off stoplights and on crooked roads. Got the 4 Runner for Camping, hauling big stuff, Air conditioned comfort on long trips with all the accessories the Celica is missing. I'm 68 yrs old. Good chance these 2 Toyota's will outlive me.

sheffboyRD

I agree that a 4Runner is not a truck. However, I consider my Tacoma a truck even if it only has 4 wheels. Its a pickup truck which is just a classification in the overall truck genre.

hippie13gcid

Yep, steponthepedal, Different times, different experience, different background. I fully understand that folks may be reading my posts who have Never mastered a clutch and manual transmission. Who have never owned or driven a vehicle with a carburetor or a points distributor. Who have never even ridden in a "Body on Frame" type vehicle. Who have never changed their own oil, cleaned and reused a spark plug, or even so much as replaced their own windshield wiper blades.

I speak from the "Old School" experience. I built 2 cars before I was 19 yrs old. The first one was my HS auto shop project. Begin that at age 17. 1934 Plymouth 3 window coupe, rumble seat, suicide doors. Basically scrap iron pulled off an abandoned homestead in the mts. Missing engine, front axle, front fenders, all glass, and complete with 76 bullet holes and 4 shotgun blasts in the rest of the sheet metal. Pretty UGLY! HUGE JOB! Bought a '49 dodge 4 door wreck for the engine, tranny, and whatever else I could salvage for $30. Built it a custom wooden dashboard and mounted salvaged instruments in it from wrecks and abandoned cars. Welded my own motor mounts and altered the front frame rails to accept the front axle and leaf springs off a '47 Dodge PU. They call what I did in 1964 a "Rat Rod" these days. Got it licensed for the road, and got an "A" in auto shop.

Next build was a bit more ambitious, Got myself a '56 Ford 2 door post sedan. Ford called it a "Club Sedan" And was actually the first Fairlane. Nasty enuf in it's time. Y block 312 T Bird engine, 4BBL Holly carb, Dual exhaust ported thru the rear bumper, 3 on the tree with electric overdrive, Hot shit in '56. 225 HP or so stock and well worn out in '64 when I got it running with broken valve springs and smoking out the tailpipes like a diesel. Drove it to my local machine shop and went NUTS! Bored it to the waterjackets and pressed in 352 Ford truck cyl sleeves. Mickey Thompson Pistons and rods, Ford Truck 352 heads milled for 390 sodium valves running on GMC heavy duty rocker studs, double valve springs off a ISKY 505 roller cam. Ported and polished intake and custom tuned headers, Carb was Holly 650 double pumper with 950 jets, 2 electric fuel pumps 2 lines to the tank. Fired it up and broke it in for 500 mi or so then had it balanced and blueprinted. Mallory dual point ignition, Put it on a rear wheel dyno at the local college. Made 415 HP to the rear wheels at 7,200 rpm. Rear axle was a stock '58 F100 4-11 ratio. Need I say I hadta modify the suspension to accommodate the HP? Need I say I hadta chain down the engine to keep from tearing out motor mounts? Of course I did. Traction masters on the back, 2 shocks on every wheel, Pretty freaking fast.......10.4 sec quarter mile. In 1965. Top end on the road 154 mph. A bitch to keep running, blew 3 clutches and 5 overdrive trannys in 9 mo. Had about $3,000 into it and it would beat the showroom GTO and 409 Chevys of the day. Price similar. then sold it and went into the Navy for 4 yrs.

After Navy I bought a stock fast car.......Learned my lesson about hot rods.......Too much wrenching . I bought myself a bone stock one owner 1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 2 door hardtop. Big old square boat. 6 yrs old, 17 feet long, 5,600 lb of good old USA steel. Play ping pong on the hood or on the trunk deck. HUGE CAR! Had some grunt under the hood. 394 cid 350 hp engine hooked up to a 4 speed Hydramatic tranny. Was a bit squirrly on the stock 15 inch wheels so I went to wide tread 14" and slammed it on the ground. Cornered better than corvettes over the oregon Cascade passes then. Drove it 30,000 mi in 10 mo. Weren't worth a damn for going fishing on dirt roads, Traded it in on a new 1971 Chevy C20 PU truck. Little less hp, 4 bolt 350 in the PU, Not so fast, the olds 135 speedo now in the pu is 124, But Boy, that PU will tote 2 tons while towing 4 tons. Sure it drives different. It's a 4 speed granny first stick shift. U don't use first gear in town. first gear at 6,000 rpm= 10 mph. U come off stoplights in second gear. That's good for about 35mph @ 6,000 rpm, then U powershift it into 3rd......The 12 inch 5 ton rated clutch grabs. .The hood lifts a couple of feet if U have a ton of camper on the back, The engine torque twists yer frame and lifts a front wheel or 2 off the ground and scares the comprtion into submission. Nasty old truck. Doyer new Pu trucks perform like that? will they do it for 30 years? I see New 4WD Pu trucks in my snowmobile parking lots. I get there first in my 2 WD. Ya, 30 yrs old. Towing a 2 up sled trailer, Ya, NO Pwr steering when I back in. No pwr windows or locks or mirrors either.....How wussy doya gotta be in yer so called "Truck"???

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
quit living in the past. get over it, life goes on. I build hotrods and certainly don't expect 400 hp and 40 mpg

WilliamB

I've driven the big trucks such as the Freightliners and Peterbuilts. Yes, even a pickup is a truck. If it doesn't have the "comfort" of a sedan or Minivan...it is a truck.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I guess some people still don't think of Toyota as having big trucks, but they do. The Tundra is technically a larger truck than a Chevy Silverado, Ford F150 or Ram 1500. Just the facts.

WilliamB

I refuse to get "upset". I call my Tundra a truck and my wife says it isn't....but her dad has driven Freightliner trucks and considers pickups to NOT be a truck. I'll still call it a truck or pickup truck. It can haul freight. It is a truck to me.

hippie13gcid

The Toyota Tundra might impress you if you gave it a chance.
Ya well, I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford a Tundra anytime soon. Now back in 1971 I had enuf credit and purchasing power to buy a new PU truck. I was earning good money then......$3.33/hr. I had a 7 yr old trade in car worth $850, that was my down payment on a brand new PU truck. Ya, 3 yr contract. Cash price on that one ton chevy pu was $3,800. Payments including full coverage insurance were $117/mo. Lotta money then. But I got the loan. Now they would laff me outa the showroom for a new Tundra if I was making $11/Hr. I don't qualify. And I DON'T care! $40K for a new PU? Not in my world! Auto manufacturers priced themselves outa my ballpark for any new car. I don't play their game. I drove the '71 Chevy Pu for 30 yrs, rebuilt it twice cheaper than new. When I thot I needed better gas mileage I bought myself a small car. Not any small car......something kinda sporty and fun. Got me a '79 Toyota Celica Custom GT Hatchback for $800. Ran pretty good, leaked oil at every seal, froggy and fast on a crooked road, 20r engine 5 speed, put about 30,000 mi on it in 3 yrs and it was getting a little tired with 280 k on the clock....Then my landlord's elm tree fell on it. Can U say "Flat Toyota"? Sure U can! LOL! Long story short his ins bought me a '78 gt hatchbsck with less miles and less leaks and I drove that for almost 1200K miles and it still doing fine, But then I came into some inheritance money and wanted a better camping rig. No, a new tundra wasn't an option. The check read $3,500. I pretty much knew what I wanted. Took me several months to find it. I wanted a 4 Runner. Stock. No lifts, hadta be a manual shift tranny........I will drive an automatic when they amputate my left foot. LOL. Well, I found one. Very Cherry, squeaky clean and freshly,detailed. I guess it just had to be red inside and out. Paid the man $2,000 for a 1990 fully loaded. Needed tires and a stereo. And that's where I started this thread. U see, this 4 runner isn't a truck. It's a wuss wagon. Electric fooking everything, windows, locks, mirrors, sunroof, AC, Cruise, U name it! It got the roof rack the rear mount spare, the running boards, towing package, even the 4WD mudflaps. SWEET! Much more than I wanted. Had it a bit over a yr now and I gotta say it spoiling me. In 4WD it acts like a beast and I have not yet needed low range. Damn thing climbs trees. with the AC blowing cold. The 3.0 engine is a bit wussy on the highway but in the woods it's a real gem. Maybe it's the nasty agressive tires I put on it but I don't think so. I think it just likes dirt over pavement. It's no virgin for sure, had 203,000 miles on it when I bought it. Don't seem to matter much, Passes emission tests like new or better. NO, not worth a damn for fuel mileage. 15.5 around town, amazingly over 19 in 4wd in the boonies. but it's a BIG Heavy monster, Yep I weighed it, 4,250 lb. powered by a 160 hp 6...Little wonder it don't jump off stoplights like my old 4,400 lb 300 hp chevy PU...It's ok, I like it, but I'll never call it any kind of truck. It's a wussmobile, a glorified 4WD stationwagon More power on the sunroof than on the wheels. My dad's old uncle Dewey with his 1942 dodge power wagon could run rings around it. But he had no comfort.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
its a truck when some one asks you to help them move...no matter logo on the hood. If you can stack a sofa, 4 mattresses and the fridge and stove you found at the curb and move it all precariously in on load to the new destination,,,its a TRUCK!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Ya well, I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford a Tundra anytime soon. Now back in 1971 I had enuf credit and purchasing power to buy a new PU truck. I was earning good money then......$3.33/hr. I had a 7 yr old trade in car worth $850, that was my down payment on a brand new PU truck. Ya, 3 yr contract. Cash price on that one ton chevy pu was $3,800. Payments including full coverage insurance were $117/mo. Lotta money then. But I got the loan. Now they would laff me outa the showroom for a new Tundra if I was making $11/Hr. I don't qualify. And I DON'T care! $40K for a new PU? Not in my world! Auto manufacturers priced themselves outa my ballpark for any new car. I don't play their game. I drove the '71 Chevy Pu for 30 yrs, rebuilt it twice cheaper than new. When I thot I needed better gas mileage I bought myself a small car. Not any small car......something kinda sporty and fun. Got me a '79 Toyota Celica Custom GT Hatchback for $800. Ran pretty good, leaked oil at every seal, froggy and fast on a crooked road, 20r engine 5 speed, put about 30,000 mi on it in 3 yrs and it was getting a little tired with 280 k on the clock....Then my landlord's elm tree fell on it. Can U say "Flat Toyota"? Sure U can! LOL! Long story short his ins bought me a '78 gt hatchbsck with less miles and less leaks and I drove that for almost 1200K miles and it still doing fine, But then I came into some inheritance money and wanted a better camping rig. No, a new tundra wasn't an option. The check read $3,500. I pretty much knew what I wanted. Took me several months to find it. I wanted a 4 Runner. Stock. No lifts, hadta be a manual shift tranny........I will drive an automatic when they amputate my left foot. LOL. Well, I found one. Very Cherry, squeaky clean and freshly,detailed. I guess it just had to be red inside and out. Paid the man $2,000 for a 1990 fully loaded. Needed tires and a stereo. And that's where I started this thread. U see, this 4 runner isn't a truck. It's a wuss wagon. Electric fooking everything, windows, locks, mirrors, sunroof, AC, Cruise, U name it! It got the roof rack the rear mount spare, the running boards, towing package, even the 4WD mudflaps. SWEET! Much more than I wanted. Had it a bit over a yr now and I gotta say it spoiling me. In 4WD it acts like a beast and I have not yet needed low range. Damn thing climbs trees. with the AC blowing cold. The 3.0 engine is a bit wussy on the highway but in the woods it's a real gem. Maybe it's the nasty agressive tires I put on it but I don't think so. I think it just likes dirt over pavement. It's no virgin for sure, had 203,000 miles on it when I bought it. Don't seem to matter much, Passes emission tests like new or better. NO, not worth a damn for fuel mileage. 15.5 around town, amazingly over 19 in 4wd in the boonies. but it's a BIG Heavy monster, Yep I weighed it, 4,250 lb. powered by a 160 hp 6...Little wonder it don't jump off stoplights like my old 4,400 lb 300 hp chevy PU...It's ok, I like it, but I'll never call it any kind of truck. It's a wussmobile, a glorified 4WD stationwagon More power on the sunroof than on the wheels. My dad's old uncle Dewey with his 1942 dodge power wagon could run rings around it. But he had no comfort.
I wasn't alive in 1971, lol. My dad had a sweet 62 or 63 Power Wagon though.

Related Content You Might Like: