• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Show your toolbox / garage / workshop

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What's your shop / garage look like?

I'm looking for inspiration as I've overgrown my workshop and my tools now outnumber places to put them, so I'm shopping for a single master toolbox where I can store my automotive tools plus my overflow woodworking tools.

I've already moved my outdoor tools to the shed, and I'm planning on putting up additional light duty shelves around the perimeter for the garage as well to store odds and ends.

Should I get an all in one tool chest or a two piece tool chest and rolling cart?

Looking for ideas. If you can post a pic then all the better.

1431198424448178987768.jpg
1431198456181364177405.jpg
1431198478012-615119563.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Maybe I'm developing ocd but most of my automotive tools are craftsman, most woodworking and other power tools are either DeWalt or Black & Decker. I feel funny sticking tools from one mfg into a box from a different mfg. Am I crazy?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I would get the all in one tool chest. It will save space. Get the biggest one you can afford! All my SAE tools are craftsman,,bought them in '81. Never an issue. They were made in USA back then and a better quality than today but the warranty is still the same. I did look at a Stanley set recently,,real pretty anodized but their warranty...you got to mail away your broken socket or whatever...

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I can't think of any craftsman tools that have failed. My dad always bought craftsman.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I have worn out 2 of their old style ratchets to the point the repair kit was not a solution. They gave me new style ratchets. I've broken a few of their sockets. The old wrenches never a issue. Rounding out a off brand box end wrench on the roadside was my reason to never buy inferior quality tools

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I used to buy Craftsman tools almost exclusively, since Kmart bought out Sears the tool warranty has changed and they now replace tools with garbage that has no or very little coverage.
I have an old set of True Value sockets and wrenchs from Western Auto circa 1976/77 (Wizard Tools) that are my favorite and
see lots of use.
Even though Western Auto isnt in existance anymore I found the tools were originally mfgrd by SGS Tool company, and if I send them my old broken or worn Western Auto/Wizard tools they replace them free of charge except for the initail shipping to them.
I like the Cobalt stand up chest for tools and one day might buy a large one, at this point Ive got 2 older 6' stand up chests at the house for tools and a an 8' x 4' x 4' shoe store cabinette that doubles as a work bench.
About 4 different tool bags, one for the boat, one for the rock crawler, one for the truck, and a stand by emergency bag.
And 3 huge machinists chests at my shop.
Tools are a mix from quality brands of all makes to American cheapies to European from my time overseas.

Smileyone

TTC Chicks
I don't have Pics, but the sweetest set up I have seen, is my friend Joe's shop. He has rolling tool boxes all along one (long) wall in his shop. They all fit under a built-in workbench that has a couple different vices near the ends. In the top near one end, He drilled some holes equally spaced over a grid and in those are pegs with blocks designed to hold parts in place since he often works alone and needs them as extra hands.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I don't have Pics, but the sweetest set up I have seen, is my friend Joe's shop. He has rolling tool boxes all along one (long) wall in his shop. They all fit under a built-in workbench that has a couple different vices near the ends. In the top near one end, He drilled some holes equally spaced over a grid and in those are pegs with blocks designed to hold parts in place since he often works alone and needs them as extra hands.
Sneak in and get some pics, lol.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I keep most my tools along one wall...all paint and body supply in separate cabinet. Large wood cabinet in back corner is air tools and hand electrical tools. The War Wagon(my welding cart) is on wheels. Nothing on far wall so I can roll projects out of the way to make room for the rare occasion the toyota needs some lovin'

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: