• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

92 tried to overheat

6speedsd

My little beater 92, 22re with 5spd.

Sitting in a drive thru this morning, 80ish was outside temp, started getting a whiff of coolant, looked down and my temp needle was up over half way (normally runs very low...needs a sensor I know). Had been sitting idle for 15mins, no AC on. Being up that far was it getting/reading hot....soon as I pulled away from the window, the clutch kicked in and the fan came on, and needle slowly dropped. Popped the hood and it had pushed a little coolant out around the cap...not sure why there instead of out the overflow tank. Anyways, after cooling all afternoon, I pull the cap and start it. Coolant immediately gets foamy. Idle her up, and it starts moving across the radiator (left to right if standing in front) quite quickly. Back to idle, level comes up slightly but stays foamy, and doesn't move through the rad much at all. Seems the water pump is indeed working. When I first cranked it up, there were some bubbles which concerned me a bit...now I'm wondering about a partially blown head gasket. Truck has seemed sort of sluggish lately, but doesn't seem to burn any coolant. Been driving my big truck a lot lately, so going from a 500ish hp truck back to the little 4 banger could explain why it feels sluggish. Going to drain the coolant, flush and refill later in the week when I have more time. But what do you guys think? Fluke, or should I start considering a blown HG? Any other ways to test besides the bubbly coolant? I'm a diesel guy....haven't fooled with gassers much in quite a few years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Oil in your coolant can cause foam, sorry to tell you. Could be other things though.

First, take a look at your oil and see what's in it. Is it milky? if you have watered down oil and also foamy antifreeze then you're got a blown head gasket.

Foamy anti freeze / coolant can mean several things, air in the system, other contaminants, but most likely in my experience it's oil. Maybe cavitation though?

Coolant cavitation can hapen when there's too little ethyl glycol in the coolant (or straight water is used). The coolant boils localy near engine hot spots and bubbles form. Bubbles do not transfer heat well so the engine overheats. Also the pump cannot move efficiently bubbly coolant which makes the overheating problem worse.

6speedsd

Oil is normal....no signs of water. Coolant is bright green, and not dis colored like oil is in it.

Could very well be cavitation. Will change coolant out later in the week and see if it helps.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, good news on the oil being normal. Let us know what you find out.

6speedsd

Thanks for the info. Cavitation and flash boiling completely slipped my mind.

6speedsd

Which sensor controls the dash temp gauge? I replaced the one going directly down into the intake (between injectors 2-3 if I recall). Notice there are two more pointing out the front, under the upper radiator hose. One of those?

6speedsd

Sorry I forgot to update. It is the one I replaced. Has the little flat blade terminal on top. Didn't make my gauge start working correctly though. Still reads really low all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Not sure. Truck hasn't tried to run hot on me again since the coolant flush. So maybe that was the issue. I can deal with the gauge reading low....at least until I decide to do an engine swap....at some point or another.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, that's a good point. We've been having cooler temps overall this late spring and early summer in North Texas, are you finding the same? The real test is a hot say where you put a load on your truck, but with gauge issues I've always got a funny feeling in my stomach when driving.

6speedsd

Oh I do as well. I catch myself looking down at it all the time now. We've been low to mid 90's this week, high humidity, but I haven't been sitting idling much. Noticed the fan clutch has been kicking in after traffic lights though lately. Not sure why the new sensor didn't fix the gauge issue. AC doesn't work, so not really putting a hard load on it, unless you count standing on it up through the gears!

Related Content You Might Like: