• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Battery Powered Tools vs. Impact Tools & Air Compressors

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Ok, so back looking at impact wrenches, ratchets, drills, sanders, grinders, paint sprayer, oscillating tools, right angle cutting tools, die grinders and more.

However, looks like there are options for all of these in a good 20 volt battery option (or similar) as well.

Now the battery options are clearly more money as you need an electric motor to power the device, vs an air powered device which I'm guessing is easier and simpler to build.

However the battery systems look to be more versatile add they can power more items such as lights, etc. Plus there is no need for pneumatic tubing to run between the tank and the device.

I'm thinking im going to skip the pneumatic tools and go to a new set of battery powered tools.

Overall is the only downside the loss of a specific dedicated impact wrench? Thoughts?

Might be necessary to have both if my end goal is to have a multipurpose workshop for all sorts of projects to be done in there. I dunno.

1431199570349-1984800194.jpg
14311996036851164705529.jpg
14311997175811412109011.jpg
1431199751178-1950227185.jpg
1431199804358272364761.jpg

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I added a set of good electric power tools not long ago.
If I was buying first time now Id go with electric, the added expense of a large enough capacity air compressor to continuiously drive the tools would cost about the same as the cost of battery powered tools.
Battery powered tools have come a long way.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Oh it would be nice to eliminate the need for my 3 cylinder air compressor. So friggin loud! I did add this cordless tool to my collection this week

Attachments

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I found out I need both air and electric tools in the shop. Love the portability of the electric drill, saws, etc. but I still need the air compressor for filling the portable air tank and a couple heavy duty tools.

I finally wore out my 15 yr old portable electric drill and shopping for a new one soon.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Oh it would be nice to eliminate the need for my 3 cylinder air compressor. So friggin loud! I did add this cordless tool to my collection this week
I saw a video on digital torque wrenches, I think I must have one now.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So I'm about 50% done with cleaning up my workbench and then next will include cleaning up the area next to the workbench and getting a rolling cart there.

Garage Tek

I've got everything power tool wise! Where do I start?

Mikita, Hitachi, Ryobe, Millualkee, snap on..... I'm just a tool geek! I even have a collection of 6.9 and 7.2 volt vintage Mikita trim saws, jig saws and reciprocating saws.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
So I'm about 50% done with cleaning up my workbench and then next will include cleaning up the area next to the workbench and getting a rolling cart there.
Ya ,,, wife was talking about some battery operated tool. 30000rpm for 3 hours on a single quick charge

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I remember when the Mikita battery powered tools came out in the early 90s (when I saw them first) and the guys had to purchase and charge up like 5 batteries at a time to get enough juice to run then the whole day.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I bought hitachi drill and impact driver 7 years ago. The battery had a 10 year warranty and they are still working well. My dewalt sawzall is good but I have never been impressed with their batteries. Cordless sawzall is handy at the boneyard. They won't let us bring torches in anymore.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
This was good timing as I just realized that my 14.4 v Black and Decker isn't charging anymore. Not sure if the charger broke of if it's the battery, but my dad gave me this drill a couple of years ago and it was used at the time so I really don't know much about the history of it. I'd hate to get rid of it if it's just a cheap little charger cord that broke on me. Wish that they made more 14.4v stuff.

Related Content You Might Like: