• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

22r engine problems

thumpinoutdoors

Wanting to start saying thank you for reading and any advice you have to offer.

I've been offered a 1985 Toyota 22r 4x4 4cy 2366cc. It hasn't been ran in over 5 years.

To start hear is what I know.

Needs:

•Battery

•Carb Issues

Things I believe it will need.

•Oil Change

•Inline Fuel Filter (cruddy stuff is going to be nasty)

First off all I know is that the carb has issues. Sensor maybe? Not even sure. I'll play with it as I can and time permits. Far as I know it use to run

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
My first advice would be pull and replace the fuel filter, drain and clean the fuel tank, drain and clean the fuel lines.
Rebuild the carb, after 5 years whatever fuel was in it is gelled at the very least, the floats and gaskets are disintgrating.
Are you positive its carburated? 85 was a changeover year, early 85 4x4's came with carb, late year 4x4's came with fuel injection.
If its injected clean the injectors and replace the "o" rings and retainers clips.
Check the fuel pressure regulator for flow.
Check the vacume lines for leaks, a vacume leak could also be your "carb " problem.
A good electronic tune up wont hurt either, along with a full fluid change, cooling system, axles, t case, trans, and diffs. might also want to check t case and axle seals availability since odds are youll be changing them soon.

thumpinoutdoors

My first advice would be pull and replace the fuel filter, drain and clean the fuel tank, drain and clean the fuel lines.
Rebuild the carb, after 5 years whatever fuel was in it is gelled at the very least, the floats and gaskets are disintgrating.
Are you positive its carburated? 85 was a changeover year, early 85 4x4's came with carb, late year 4x4's came with fuel injection.
If its injected clean the injectors and replace the "o" rings and retainers clips.
Check the fuel pressure regulator for flow.
Check the vacume lines for leaks, a vacume leak could also be your "carb " problem.
A good electronic tune up wont hurt either, along with a full fluid change, cooling system, axles, t case, trans, and diffs. might also want to check t case and axle seals availability since odds are youll be changing them soon.
Not to argue but your talking about money here.

I'm trying to save money. Just trying to get the thing started first.

•Need to check for spark/fire

if I do...I'll pour gas down the carb. And see if that will get it to turn on over.

Related Content You Might Like: