• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

A Tacoma... or a Hilux...

Peter T

Greetings!

I'm trying to sort out if a Tacoma or a Hilux is the best for my situation.
My needs and desires are:

Able to pull a 2 horse trailer over short distances with the full weight of the trailer and the load being 2500-3000lbs. This will be very occasional, but it will also see a lot of light to med duty farm use. We may be moving to an area where I would almost never need to trailer, but I can't count on that yet. From what little research I have done so far, it would seem a manual tranny will be a much better idea for this possibility, but may be hard to find? I have heard a general comment that Tacoma's are not as well made from a work truck standpoint compared to the Hilux, but how much opinion vs fact this is I can't say. Maybe I'm wrong but at first glance Tacoma's seem to get much better mpg?

Thanks!
Peter.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Tacomas are made just as good as a hilux, their only downfall would be they have more electronics onboard to run.
Most time the electronics work well, once in a while they act up, like a sensor or maf.
Many times the problem can be solved simply.
For your use Id recommend the Tacoma with 3.4 and 5spd, the A340 auto trans is pretty good too, I just prefer a manual trans when towing with a smaller truck.
The 2.7 eng could do the job if asked to but you will deffinately get into positions where you wish you had the extra power.
I regularly tow 4200lbs of ski boat with a 99 Tacoma 3.4/5spd 4x4.

Related Content You Might Like: