• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Finding the right Hilux... if there is one.

Peter T

Greetings!

I think I may be looking for a Hilux.
My needs and desires are:

Able to pull a 2 horse trailer over short distances with the full weight of the trailer and the load being 2500-3000lbs. This will be very occasional, but it will also see a lot of light to med duty farm use. We may be moving to an area where I would almost never need to trailer, but I can't count on that yet. From what little research I have done so far, it would seem a manual tranny will be a much better idea for this possibility, but may be hard to find? I was thinking maybe a 5th generation V6 Xtracab SR5, as I have a 7 year old daughter, and the changes I see listed for these seem like they made for a better truck for my needs, especially the longer wheelbase, bigger cab, and better designed box. Less comfort, but I wish a bench seat was an option. I have heard a general comment that Tacoma's are not as well made from a work truck standpoint. I haven't done enough research yet to consider looking at them or to rule them out.

I have also heard there is a gizmo you install on the carb for nearly doubling mileage on models with a carb. (wouldn't do much on one without one, would it?). Even if this is true those engines may be too small for my needs? Anyone familiar with this? We originally were set on going with something with a 22R because of the rep those engines have, but I would think

Thanks!
Peter.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Fifth gen trucks werent mfgrd carburated, all of them were fuel injection by that time.
The x cab would work great for your daughter now, but in a few short years she would grow out of the back seat(I had one when my daughter was that age).
The available v6 engine at that time was the 3.0, not the best choice imho.
Bench seats were available in x cab prucks right to the present model, normally sr5 package gets buckets and center console, non sr5 trucks get 60/40 bench and les extras like pwr windows/locks, cruise, and tilt wheel.
The Tacoma trucks have bench seats with a larger xtra cab, 3.4 or 2.7 engines (2.7 is a larger displacement 22r that has better hp/torque rating but same dependability and slightly better mpg).

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Tell me about it, lol. Employment for me the last for years has been very hit and miss.

Related Content You Might Like: