• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

5 speed tranny

macgyver

I have had a noisy bearing in my 86 pickup for several years, made it more bearable with lucas oil treatment. The clutch finally went so I thought I should fix the tranny as well . The repair guy I know said he would only use toyota bearings which are very expensive, and the old bearings are hard to remove ?
If I decide to replace the transmission would an 84 to 89 fit right in ? Thanks for any thoughts

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Just to get a little of the backstory on this issue ... was the noise your only complaint from the tranny? How many miles on all of the different components are we talking about as well? How many miles on the truck, the engine, the tranny, etc.

macgyver

It has 280000 km showing , the Trans works good but has a bearing noise in all gears except 4th. I have had the truck for about 8 years and I imagine everything is original ?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Sorry, us Americans have to convert that quickly into what we're used to. 280,000 km is equal to about 174,000 miles.

Do you know what transmission it is? You have a 4-speed and you're looking for a 5-speed manual? Or you have a 5-speed now and you're looking to replace it? Either way, you shouldn't have any issues. What transmission are you looking to get?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
This is good resource information for the 86-89 toyota pickups.

1986-1988 Toyota Pick-up 4X4

This is the year that IFS was introduced. The first year of new "Hi-trac" front independent suspension. Toyota dropped the solid front axle to make the truck more desirable for highway use and to better compete with other manufactures that had already gone to IFS.

Basically using the same body style as the '84-'85. Along with a new front suspension, the rear axle housing was widened by 3" to match the wider front end and slightly beefed up.

The IFS performed fairly well Off road, but significantly lacked wheel travel. Only about 5" total up front, although Toyota called it a "high travel suspension". It did add front clearance. And it performed and handled much better on the highway. The same 8" diff
and 30 splines axles were used in the rear as the prior generations, but a new smaller 7.5"
diff with 27 spline axles was installed in the front as part of the new IFS system. One
interesting note, overseas Toyota trucks would retain the solid front axle in most models
for many more years to come. For more info on the overseas Hilux, click
HERE.

Perhaps the greatest feature introduced during this generation was more power. Toyota recognized that owners not only wanted a nicer on road ride, i.e. the new IFS system, but they also wanted much more power than the barely 100 h.p. 4 cylinder could provide. So, Toyota introduced a turbo version of the 4 cylinder in 1986, in lew of a new V-6 that was
being designed for the truck and 4Runner. The turbo made 135 h.p. and significantly more torque. With the introduction of the turbo 22RTE, Toyota also designed a new stronger rear diff with 4 pinions and larger gears for the turbo and later the V-6 trucks. Standard gearing was still 4.10 except for automatics which got 4.30. Again, the only tire size available was 225/75R-15s.

In 1988, the turbo model was dropped with the introduction of 150 h.p. 3.0 liter V-6. In addition, the carburated 22R was dropped as the standard motor for the 4X4 although it continued to be standard, but rare, for the 4X2 through 1992. The new standard motor became the fuel injected 22RE. New 5 speed transmissions were also introduced during this generation. To withstand the powerful turbo engine the R151F tranny was mated to turbo trucks and later the R150 was mated to the V-6 trucks. The R series transmissions being based on the transmission design found in the Toyota Supra Turbo. In addtion, a beefed up transfer case was included on turbo models. With the introduction of the V-6 came a new chain driven transfer case.

The gear driven case of the 4 cylinder and turbo trucks is actually stronger than the V-6
chain driven case, however, but the chain driven case allowed for smoother operation and
shift on the fly into 4 wheel drive at higher speeds. This generation, like prior
generations also had a rust problem in areas on the country where road salt was common.
But the rust issue was mostly confined to the bed area. This was mainly due to a lack of a
seal between the front of the bed floor and the front bed wall and single wall bed
construction. This rust problem was solved with the new designs of the next generation.
The other problem involved failing head gaskets in the new V-6 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

macgyver

Sorry, us Americans have to convert that quickly into what we're used to. 280,000 km is equal to about 174,000 miles.

Do you know what transmission it is? You have a 4-speed and you're looking for a 5-speed manual? Or you have a 5-speed now and you're looking to replace it? Either way, you shouldn't have any issues. What transmission are you looking to get?

Yes it is a 5 speed and I don't know if they made more than one type or not, I would like to replace it with a 5 speed, unless a 4 speed would bolt in and not lose any top speed ?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
It should bolt right up. Do you have a donor truck or are you looking at a wrecking yard or a rebuild?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
How are the wrecking yards up in that part of the world? Do they salt and sand the roads and does that effect the undercarriages?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If you source out the correct 5spd trans youll be much happier with the truck.
The 4spd will bolt in, and by removing the tailshsft you can attach the T case, overall length is only a few inchs shorter.
But top speed is drastically changed, and first gear ratio for the 4 spd is a bit higher, meaning you loose some crawl ability.
Made that mistake many years ago and suffered through 3 months before correcting it.

macgyver

How are the wrecking yards up in that part of the world? Do they salt and sand the roads and does that effect the undercarriages?
Yes they salt a lot up here it is nearly impossible to find these old toyota's that are not rusted away, at least we are not humid like Ontario were these things rust away very quickly !

macgyver

If you source out the correct 5spd trans youll be much happier with the truck.
The 4spd will bolt in, and by removing the tailshsft you can attach the T case, overall length is only a few inchs shorter.
But top speed is drastically changed, and first gear ratio for the 4 spd is a bit higher, meaning you loose some crawl ability.
Made that mistake many years ago and suffered through 3 months before correcting it.
Thanks my neighbor at the cottage gave me an old toyota 4x4 with the non independant front end maybe a 83 or 84 I will check next time out there when the weather warms up , do you think that would be a 5 speed ?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
83/84 yes, thats around the time frame the 5 spd became standard on 4x4's.

macgyver

Well I got ambitious the other day and took the transmission apart , good thing I did not have to separate the gears and stuff. It turned out that the large roller bearing on the output shaft was spaled on the inner bearing race. 40 dollars and some elbow grease and it should be good for the life of the old beast !

BuffaloBill

Yes they salt a lot up here it is nearly impossible to find these old toyota's that are not rusted away, at least we are not humid like Ontario were these things rust away very quickly !
It seems odd to me that Rustop is relatively unknown despite the fact it works so well. We have a '95 Toyota pickup and a 98 Contour still rust free and buffalo is the rust capital of North America!

Related Content You Might Like: