• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2014 Toyota Sequoia, is it worth the price?

SharkRider

100 Posts
My son and I were looking at the Toyota Sequoia. Personally, I think it is a little overpriced. Does anyone own one? Is it worth the price?

I would much rather purchase a Tundra, well I did just get one. But my son wants a family vehicle for his wife and kid.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
The Sequoia is one of these full-size SUVs that's just always flown under the radar IMHO.

Toyota said that it's "
Anything but
ordinary

$44,095starting msrp 1
as shown $60,7951

13/18est. mpg"

First of all, the price is pretty high and you know what large nameplate SUV you can compare it to? Also, that 13/18 MPG rating is terrible. The new Suburban will get 22 MPG highway for crying out loud. You might say "That's only 4 mpg" ... but that it's losing over 20% on the fuel economy war.

SharkRider

100 Posts
Yeah, losing 20% on fuel economy is serious dough. Maybe some of us can afford to drive gas guzzlers, but personally I cannot. Who knows, maybe my son thinks he can afford it?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I think there is a big difference between burning a lot of fuel at $0.99/gallon like it was back in the year 2000 ... vs. $4.50/gallon like it was back in 2006/2007.

There have been studies that show that the greatest times of economic expansion actually come when the cost of energy are at their lowest. I works the other way around, but that's not really on topic. :)

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Maybe because I'm on mobile?

Anyhow, it's some good conversation.

murphdiv

My son and I were looking at the Toyota Sequoia. Personally, I think it is a little overpriced. Does anyone own one? Is it worth the price?

I would much rather purchase a Tundra, well I did just get one. But my son wants a family vehicle for his wife and kid.

You get what you pay for I have a 2002 SR5 4wd 214k miles still running strong Great family vehicle seats 8 adults I paid over 45 K back in 2002 I see this vehicle going to 300 k Timing belt change at 110k with water pump and every thing it called to do.
Very up on all oil changes

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
I'm very happy with my 2014 4Runner, which I do use for day to day family purposes. Plenty big and comfortable. Tons of cargo space, and easy folding second row.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using tapatalk

Brad

100 Posts
I'm very happy with my 2014 4Runner, which I do use for day to day family purposes. Plenty big and comfortable. Tons of cargo space, and easy folding second row.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using tapatalk
How much did the 2014 4Runner cost? I'm guessing quite a lot?

Pauly

How much did the 2014 4Runner cost? I'm guessing quite a lot?
Just bought a 2014 Sequoia Platinum two weeks ago for $61,000. The MSRP on was $66,000. It's so loaded with features I'm still trying to figure it out. I will say though, as good as It is, for the price , they overdid the vinyl. Tons of vinyl, the type that shows off fingerprints. Only thing with leather are the seats. Overpriced is my vote...thumbs up on the technology, thumbs down on the lack of upscale materials and trim.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Just bought a 2014 Sequoia Platinum two weeks ago for $61,000. The MSRP on was $66,000. It's so loaded with features I'm still trying to figure it out. I will say though, as good as It is, for the price , they overdid the vinyl. Tons of vinyl, the type that shows off fingerprints. Only thing with leather are the seats. Overpriced is my vote...thumbs up on the technology, thumbs down on the lack of upscale materials and trim.
That's a good honest review. For 60k you figure it would all be leather.

DIRTYWHITEBOY

Comparing it to the suburban is apples and oranges. The Suburban/Tahoe LT doesn't come close to all the space that the sequoia has.

The 2nd row in the GM vehicles are small. @ 6'3" and 240 lbs, The front seat has to be halfway to the dash for me to even fit in the back seat of a GM. I fit very nicely in the back AND 3rd row seats in a Sequoia, My brother, friend and I, both of whom are bigger than I am, fit comfortably in the 2nd row bench seat configuration.

I also like the rear window roll up/down ability.

The Tundra spanks the GM trucks in back seat space too, in the crew cab.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Comparing it to the suburban is apples and oranges. The Suburban/Tahoe LT doesn't come close to all the space that the sequoia has.

The 2nd row in the GM vehicles are small. @ 6'3" and 240 lbs, The front seat has to be halfway to the dash for me to even fit in the back seat of a GM. I fit very nicely in the back AND 3rd row seats in a Sequoia, My brother, friend and I, both of whom are bigger than I am, fit comfortably in the 2nd row bench seat configuration.

I also like the rear window roll up/down ability.

The Tundra spanks the GM trucks in back seat space too, in the crew cab.
That's good information. I'll have to try it out. I'm leaning heavily toward looking at a sequoia in the next month.

2006 limited bbs

You may save money on gas. But, you will spend much more money on repairs over the years. Especially, if you plan to keep it long term.

2001 with 220K miles. Only oil changes tires and timing belt change . And, oh yes the rear door hatch replaced with metal latch instead of factory plastic.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
You may save money on gas. But, you will spend much more money on repairs over the years. Especially, if you plan to keep it long term.

2001 with 220K miles. Only oil changes tires and timing belt change . And, oh yes the rear door hatch replaced with metal latch instead of factory plastic.
This is a very good point. I made the terrible decision to purchase a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country minivan, and at 68000 miles I was given a new engine under factory warranty. However, the van otherwise had to already get new brake calipers in the rear and brake pads twice.

CURT LEVINBERG

I purchased a 2015 Sequoia Platinum 4 Wheel drive in June, I traded in a 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4Wheel Drive. The Tacoma gives 21mpg and the Sequoia gives 17, that's at best, difference 4mpg. There is no comparison between the two vehicles, there isn't any SUV that compares to the Sequoia, take a look at the latest Consumers Reports for Nov or Dec 2015 issue.

Cutty3

the suburban and sequoia are different beasts. I had a suburban and just traded in on a used 2014 sequoia. the deal breaker was the second row seat. Suburban's second row would fit a person sized around 5'7 and not above (comfortably). The second row seats in the Sequoia fit ME, and I'm 6'4....and they recline about 3 inches. Yes the motor in the Chevy is more efficient but the motor in the Sequoia is way more powerful with around 400 ft/lbs of torque. We pull a travel trailer and a boat so the pulling power makes a diff. You've probably pulled the trigger by now but just my $.02

Related Content You Might Like: