• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1990 4 Runner New to me many questions.

hippie13gcid

I bought a 1990 4 runner about a yr ago. It was very cherry. Had been completely detailed. Few problems. Needed tires and a new stereo, SR5 with all the options, 3.0 V6, 5 speed manual, 4WD. Receipts showing new radiator, water pump, timing belt, steering parts, Shocks and brakes. Has had head gasket recall done. Passes emissions like new. No dents outside or underneath. Pretty much a cream puff. 208,000 mi on the clock. Runs smooth, but seems to be a bit wimpy.
First question.......what HP does that 3.0 produce? Ya, I know it weighs over 2 tons, Ran it across a scale at 4,250 lb. Not expecting 300 hp performance outa it. Drives nice and polite on the highway, Likes to run at 80mph there. Drives even better in 4WD Hi range on mtn jeep tracks and offroad. Not done any serious 4WD Lo Range with it yet as hasn't been needed. 4WD Hi range has taken me places I thot would have needed low range. 2nd and third gear in 4WD HI range at up to 40 mph give me better gas mileage than 2WD highway at 80 mph. Rpm about the same in both cases, around 3,000.
About Mileage, Highway=a little under 15 mpg. Offroad approaches 20mpg. Is this normal? Is this ute so aerodynamically challenged? Or is it just designed to be a "Boonie Beater"?
Other questions. Does this thing have an airbag in the steering wheel? If it does I want it disabled. I'm a small person and would like to avoid an airbag killing me.
Next question, I have NO Idea what kind of oil is in it. I'm gonna change the oil even if it looks very clean with what came in it a year and a couple thousand miles ago. I will run a premium filter but have no experience with synthetic oils, My newest engine previous to this was a 1979 Toyota 20 R and I ran it on Valvoline 10-40 natural oil. I could use some advice about oil.
Ya, I know my 4 Runner is 24 yrs old. It's likely to last me 10 yrs or more if I treat it good. I don't do a lotta miles per year........under 3,000 or so. I won't cut it any slack either. It will do what every car I ever owned did......Go or Blow! Ya, I push the tach to and over the redline. Occasionally, Who don't? Ain't that why we buy a proven engine or car brand?
Yes, overall I'm happy with my $2,000 old 4 Runner. Not in love with all it's power locks and windows and other pwr accessories. I like being in a big high car again after spending the last 20 yrs or so in a Celica sitting so low I couldn't see over a fireplug. I will enjoy camping in places that the 4Runner will take more gear. I won't enjoy the 4Runner 15 mpg mileage getting to those places the Celica got me to at 23 MPG. You wouldn't believe some of the places I took the Celica. Please don't tell it it isn't a jeep! LOL.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
You have the 3vz engine in your truck.
It came factory with around 160hp, not a powrr house.
I have heard of some owners using headers and larger injectors from mid 90s celicas to up horsepower.
There was never a large following for this engine.
Most wanting better performance swapped engines to a later 3.4, iits almost a bolt in swap and offers many performance upgrades.
Trans t case and axles are tough enough for either engine, wont call them bullet proof but ya gotta beat them real hard to break.

hippie13gcid

TY tbplus10. yer info helpful. Doubt if I'll need more power. Still wanna know if it got an airbag, still wanna know if my MPG typical, still could use advice on oil. I welcome any advice.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
No air bag for that year.
Mpg is typical as that particular engine works hard to propel the truck, its under powered IMO. Which is odd considering the 22re in that truck for that year did about 3mpg better and with less hp.
Mobil ! oil with oem filters is a good combination.

geezala

When did the earliest airbags for trucks come out as standard? I think they came out after passenger cars, but I want to say maybe '95 or '96?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
95.5 Tacoma was the first truck, 96 4runner makeover introduced it there.
Not sure about the T100 though.

hippie13gcid

perfect! TKS one and all. Glad no airbag, Sad low HP. guess I'm not gonna tow anything heavy off that class "A" hitch under the back. Could be worse, I might still be camping out of the back of a '78 Celica 96Hp GT Hatchback. '90 4 Runner is very sure footed on the fire roads and jeep tracks of the Mts here in Idaho USA. I'm well pleased with it's off road performance and seldom need 4WD low range. Yes, I put nasty aggressive tires on it. What the hell good is a 4WD with street tread tires? Just another car, right?. I had Nasty tires on the Celica too but I gotta tell U ground clearance and under body skid plates give me more peace of mind. My previous 4WD experience has been with really tuff rigs. Examples....1948 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagon, WW2 3/4 ton halftrack scout car, 1968 Toyota Land Cruiser, Stock, and a few with chevy v8 mods. Drove a few jeeps with stock willys and Buick V6 and Small block engines.......Lotta nasty, uncomfortable rides. U gotta know the best one was the WW2 Halftrack. Dad's buddy had replaced it's rubber tracks with steel high cleat D4 caterpillar tracks. Damn thing would climb trees. Stock engine, old flathead 6. 90 hp or so. Just saying, U don't require 300 HP to perform well in the 4WD world. In many cases U don't even need 4WD. Look at where the model T ford went on RWD. Look at where my granny drove hers. Look at where I put my 1971 2WD pickup with a ton of camper on the back for traction. Look at the places I took my underpowered 96HP Celica to 9,600 ft above sea level on jeep trails your 4WD PU truck had trouble. I got to camp and they all asked me....."How the hell didja U get here? Toldum I just followed my headlights. All that said......I'm gonna go those places in a lot more comfort and less stress in my 4 Runner. Ya, it's a wussmobile, If it had an automatic tranny U might call it a girly 4WD. It's a bit underpowered for a balls out 4WD. All them power locks and windows don't get it a mile farther into the boonies than a model A Ford. It'll do. It's a nice polite 4WD rig. All you folks that call it a ":TRUCK" are WRONG! Trucks by definition have at least 6 tires on the ground. At best a 4 Runner is a glorified station wagon with 4WD. At least it has body on frame construction as opposed to unibody more wimpy and less respected SUV's. Go ahead, tell me how much more protected I will be in an head on crash if I were driving say a Honda Oddessy, Cars get lighter and wimpier, More and more plastic, less metal. How does the plastic protect me? I go WAY back with cars. 5MPH bumpers? WTF?. Bumpers used to be chrome steel. I've walked away from a 70mph rollover crash, No seatbelts, thrown out on the second roll, woulda been dead if I was belted into that thing. Tell me how protected I should have been! My 4 Runner weighs 4,250 lb. Lets say I hit a Prius head on......combined speed over 50 mph.........who U think gonna live??? OMG! don't be driving a "Smart Car" in a wreck with a 4Runner or an 18 wheeler. I ride a motorcycle, sometimes, I DON'T challenge any cars for the right of way. Stay alert stay alive.

Related Content You Might Like: