• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Why no Diesel option for the 2016 Tacoma?

Ellen

I wonder to see that GM is coming with Diesel truck but why Toyota is not bringing 2016 model with diesel fuel which is bit strange for me.

Nana

TTC Chicks
Yep! So many disappointed fans, but the company did explain why there will be no Tacoma diesel, basically they have struggled with paying a premium for both the engine and the after-treatment system which it can add $3,000 or more.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Well, the no-diesel option is just a matter of numbers. Hopefully Toyota can sell upwards of 200,000 of the 2016 Tacoma truck, but that's a far cry from the 750,000+ EACH that the Ford F-Series or Chevrolet/GMC full-size pickup will sell, so it makes sense that they get a diesel option. Plus, not sure how much better mileage the diesel truck will get, mostly because we don't even know yet how the gasoline engine is going to perform.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Toyota obviously does not have a diesel engineered to meet the environmental requirements of North America....I would not have anything to do with new diesels,,,too many problems with the systems that make the engine environmentally friendly...

gm has done some improvements but I have not read any reviews..if you read the article the cruze no longer comes with a spare tire,,that area of car holds the urea tank,,,now gm gives you a can of FLAT TIRE FIX IN A CAN....which i am sure will do you a lot of good when a sidewall blows out or you get anything larger than a nail puncture..
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-cruze-diesel-first-drive-review

Last edited:

Nana

TTC Chicks
Let me get this straight, one of the reasons why Toyota won’t release the new Tacoma in a diesel engine, is because of the cost prohibitive in North America, but what about other countries, or Europe for example?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
If they sold 3x or even 2x of the Tacoma each year it would be a different story.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
That article makes this point ...

"Q+A with 2016 Toyota Tacoma Chief Engineer Mike Sweers"

A: What is Toyota’s stance on diesel engines for the U.S. pickup truck market?

S: I can’t talk about what we’re doing in the future but, in this market, diesel is an interesting offering. Of course, with a diesel engine fuel economy is 30 percent better right out of the box. The difficulty with the diesel is LEV III [emissions standards]. The difficulty is the cost-to-benefit relationship. Everybody loves diesel in trucks. The downside is the after-treatment systems can add $3,000 or more. It starts becoming cost prohibitive, especially in this segment, to pay a premium for both the engine and after-treatment system. That’s the struggle we have. We build a lot of diesel trucks, just not in this country. If I develop a diesel system for our country and I spend a huge amount of money to do that, I won’t see a return on the investment. That’s what we’ve struggled with.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Moreover ...

A: But you’ll be watching GM’s midsize truck diesel sales?

S: Absolutely. But diesel is over $1 a gallon more that gasoline right now. You’d think that would affect the full-size truck market sales but it hasn’t. But that’s a full-size truck customer, who is different from a midsize customer. Our compact or midsize customer is asking for better fuel economy, which I could give them with a diesel. But are they willing to pay the price?

rickoshay45

Diesel itself is less expensive than gasoline. The reason it's so high are all the taxes governments put on mainly to tax the trucking Industry.

Nana

TTC Chicks
Diesel itself is less expensive than gasoline. The reason it's so high are all the taxes governments put on mainly to tax the trucking Industry.
And thanks to the government regulation, it made it more expensive than the gasoline.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Hopefully we'll see what Toyota has to offer for newer next-generation diesel technology in the next few months.

TDave

100 Posts
I wonder to see that GM is coming with Diesel truck but why Toyota is not bringing 2016 model with diesel fuel which is bit strange for me.
Interesting. To tell you the truth, I didn't even know Toyota offered a diesel. I don't think I've seen (or heard, lol) any around these parts. Do they run any ads or commercials for them.

DunkinDog

I was wondering this myself. I think they wont make the same mistake again. Some companies opted out because of oil shifting but that is just something I heard.

TDave

100 Posts
Well, it seems to be a more stable/reliable price than gas, but that's probably a blessing and a curse.

Related Content You Might Like: