• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Continental Control Contact Tour AS Review | Just got on my minivan

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
So more fun with my minivan. With only 40k mikes on the front set of Goodyear tires, they're toast. Getting two replacements today and I'll get two more in another couple of months.

OLD TIRES
Front Goodyear tires
20140913_143839.jpg

Another front view of the old Goodyears
20140913_143847.jpg

Rear Yokohama tires
20140913_143858.jpg

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
They're putting the continental tires on right now. I'm such a sucker for discount tires too, it's the first place I think of for getting tires since I got my first set on my 73 mustang back in 1990 ... So 24 years now.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Here's the new tires. They would only put them on the rear because they are a wider tire, little bit annoying but that's okay. (edit: They would have given me 4, but since I only bought 2 they would only put the wider tires on the rear)

NEW TIRES

Continental Control Contact Tour AS

20140913_155351.jpg
20140913_155357.jpg

Since they are on the rear, it's not as easy to tell yet what the performance difference is like. They do seem to be a lot quieter, and smoother but the tires that were taken off were so bad anything would have been an improvement.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, tire width is always a trade-off.

Wider for better overall dry traction and narrower for better wet/snow/ice traction.

I'm going with newer rubber (I'll get another set of these continental tires before December hits) all around so I'm not all that concerned with wet weather traction (any new tire should be decent) as much as I'm hoping that a slightly wider tire is going to give me a better and smoother ride.

I have no proof that the wider tire up front (when I get them) is going to wear better on the outer edge ... these front engine minivans just destroy tires with uneven wear. However the wider rubber allows for a lot more options and often they are cheaper so that's a consideration as well.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yea but you forgot to have the white letters put on the outside, hotrod!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
New tires are very quiet and comfortable. I guess you do get what you pay for. I might dump the Yokahama's more quickly than I had planned so I have four of the Continentals that I can rotate on a regular basis.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The wife had a really hard time in the snow in DFW with the poor tires on the front. I think I'll go down tomorrow and will get a matching set of these Continental tires for the rear and have the first set put on the front.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm getting the tires on right now at Discount Tire Company. Price for 2 of these upper mid-level tires is $381 out the door, but we're expected to have more winter weather again this week in North Texas, plus the spring hopefully will follow suit and be a wet one for us this year, which means that we're going to need the traction.

Plus, the way I look at things these days. $750+ in new tires for this van is cheap insurance because it handles like a 2010 Chrysler minivan so need to do what I can to stack the odds in my favor and one small wreck is more expensive than new tires, lol.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Tires have been handling great, no issues at all. Great wet weather traction, only slipped when turning uphill out of a parking lot from a dead stop.

TDave

100 Posts
Are those 16 inch wheels? I have a KIA minivan that we love that we've replaced tires twice on, but they're 17 inch wheels, and cost more than I want to spend on tires.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Tires still look good, handling well. Just have to remember to rotate them.

Huck Norris

They say ecoplus on them. Aren't they supposed to get better fuel economy or at least help a little bit? How can you prove that they do or do not I wonder.

Huck Norris

Yeah, just found a description for eco plus tires, a different tire but same contenintal technology. They're big on description but low on technical information.

PROCONTACT WITH ECOPLUS TECHNOLOGY
Lea en español

The ProContact with EcoPlus Technology is Continental's Standard Touring All-Season tire developed for coupes, sedans, minivans and crossover vehicles. The ProContact with EcoPlus Technology is designed to enhance driving pleasure, save fuel and maintain wet braking grip while providing long wear and all-season traction, even in light snow.

The ProContact with EcoPlus Technology tire's all-season tread compound features Continental's Tg-F Polymers and +Silane additives to improve treadwear, fuel efficiency and traction on slippery roads. The compound is molded into a symmetric design that provides continuous tread contact with the road to enhance steering response and handling while its wide circumferential grooves promote hydroplaning resistance and wet traction. Continental's PROactive Edge Technology brings more active edges into the contact patch to promote foul-weather traction while allowing the pattern elements to transfer smoothly from edge to edge to minimize on-road noise. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts that stabilize the tread area to promote strength and treadwear.

*Specific sizes featuring Economy Plus technology are identified as such on the Sizes tab, as well as on the tire's Specs tab.

Related Content You Might Like: