• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2015 Highlander Electric Brake Controller Install

scooter956

Hello,

New member and first post. Recently ordered a 2015 with tow package. I need to install a brake controller and the only online info I can find has the controller wiring running under the vehicle from front to rear.

Is there any chance that the factory tow package already has a plug under the dash to plug in the controller like Ford?

If not, and not having the vehicle yet, I am wondering in anyone has run the wiring on the inside? I did that on my Honda Odyssey years ago and it kept the wiring away from the exhaust/road debris/moving parts.

I also do not want to drill a hole to run wiring from the engine compartment to the controller. I was also able to route the wires on the Odyssey without drilling.

I am hoping that the the same can be done with the Highlander when it gets here.

Thanks!

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What are you going to be towing? There are other threads related to installing the brake controller I think.

Vic

Hello,

New member and first post. Recently ordered a 2015 with tow package. I need to install a brake controller and the only online info I can find has the controller wiring running under the vehicle from front to rear.

Is there any chance that the factory tow package already has a plug under the dash to plug in the controller like Ford?

If not, and not having the vehicle yet, I am wondering in anyone has run the wiring on the inside? I did that on my Honda Odyssey years ago and it kept the wiring away from the exhaust/road debris/moving parts.

I also do not want to drill a hole to run wiring from the engine compartment to the controller. I was also able to route the wires on the Odyssey without drilling.

I am hoping that the the same can be done with the Highlander when it gets here.

Thanks!
New member here and also first post. We are considering purchase of 2015 Highlander with tow package. We have a smallish pop-up camper that requires 7-pin connection and brake controller. Sales rep was unsure of tow specifics and conversion from 4 to 7-pin nor availability of 7-pin wiring and underdash brake controller pig tail as I've experienced with previous vehicles. We went to service and asked the service rep who indicated there was a pig tail under driver side dash for controller but 7-pin wiring would need to be run from engine compartment to hitch. Does not make sense to me, and I'll have to wait to see the new vehicle and confirm.
I'm probably going to make a visit to a UHaul tow supercenter and see what they say.

Any info anyone has is appreciated.

Regards, Vic

scooter956

Picked up the 2015 last week. I do not see a pigtail. After doing some digging online and with the local dealership it appeared that it does not have a plug. In advance of the Highlander delivery, I ordered a controller wiring kit from etrailer. They have an informative install video on a 2014, however I am not excited about running the wire from the front to rear on the exterior-I may run it on the inside like i had done on a previous vehicle through existing holes in the rear, under the front and rear door scuff plates to the drivers kickpanel area, through the existing grommet near the driver door hinge, through the front fender cavity, into teh engine compartment.

Vic

Picked up the 2015 last week. I do not see a pigtail. After doing some digging online and with the local dealership it appeared that it does not have a plug. In advance of the Highlander delivery, I ordered a controller wiring kit from etrailer. They have an informative install video on a 2014, however I am not excited about running the wire from the front to rear on the exterior-I may run it on the inside like i had done on a previous vehicle through existing holes in the rear, under the front and rear door scuff plates to the drivers kickpanel area, through the existing grommet near the driver door hinge, through the front fender cavity, into teh engine compartment.
Just picked up our '15 Highlander as well. Concur, no brake controller pigtail. I also saw the etrailer kit and video. After talking with another Toyota service rep, we took the Highlander to a local shop they deal with. They installed the 7pin and my existing brake controller for about $200. In all a very clean professional job, and saved me from crawling all around the underside. They also used the internal route under the scuff plates.
Regards, Vic

scooter956

Thanks Vic. Are you able to:
1. Post pictures of the mounting of the circuit breakers ? I may make a bracket to mount them to existing holes or studs under the hood?. I don't want to uses self tapping screws to mount to my new vehicle .

2. Post a picture of how they routed the wires from the brake controller to under the hood? Did they go through any existing holes in the firewall or near kick panel?

Thanks
BC

Related Content You Might Like: