• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toy Truck 1981

ToyTrucker

I just picked up this 1981, I guess these are called Hilux?
4X4 From the Original owner.
Was parked last year and sat for 2 weeks and didn't start.
They picked up a new Tacoma and now had no use for this which served as a farm truck for 10+ years.
Plenty of dirt inside of the cab but everything looks solid!

copied from my members introduction:
The engine bay started to look like home for some type of rodent, found 2 walnut shells on the left side, I started to rinse all the dead leaves which had become soil and tried to hose the moss growing on it off. When i rubbed the white oxidation it became yellow underneath again! Some dings, dents and scratches but I may just roll with it to keep the vintage look. Polish it out a bit later but the first order is getting her running. Fuel pump? Guess I'll check to see if it pumps fuel. Cranks over really well on the 10 month battery that's been sitting. No creaks or squeaks when turning the wheel and even the doors open and close well. I have the original tailgate, carburetor and some snow chains sitting in the back. Has some type of roll cage inside of the rear. The original spare is even still there! Also A Stack of original service records and the registration and dealer papers. Can't believe in 1981 registration was only $7!

This was used mainly as a farm truck for the last 10 years so the interior has lots of dirt and needs a full restoration but is pretty complete. Needs the bench seat definitely redone first.
20150213_172207.jpg

20150213_122834.jpg
20150213_122908.jpg
20150213_134827.jpg
20150213_122323.jpg

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Very sorry, I did not see this post until today. Great looking little truck, have you gotten it all cleaned up yet?

ToyTrucker

I haven't had the chance to do anything to it yet,
Maybe get it running next week, I'll try giving it some starter fluid and see what happens, maybe needs fuel pump.

ToyTrucker

I really wanna get her running first then start on the interior, I can roll around with the nice patina for a bit before wanting to take the body/bed off and painting the chassis and everything all over. That takes longer and I have some other projects but this would make a great rig for the gold country. My big boy doesn't get around turns to well or the narrow dirt roads.
20150213_151333.jpg

Hey the lights and signals still work!
20150213_131318.jpg

20150213_122628.jpg

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
It's a nice truck and I would not be spraying any "start dammit" into engine. If you are not getting fuel address that.

TDave

100 Posts
I see a lot of those yellow things driving around still. I wonder what the color of that yellow is, banana?

Looks like you could make it into a Pizza Planet truck (with the "YO" on the tailgate) from one of the Toy Story movies:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I see a lot of those yellow things driving around still. I wonder what the color of that yellow is, banana?

Looks like you could make it into a Pizza Planet truck (with the "YO" on the tailgate) from one of the Toy Story movies:
Ha, good observation.

ToyTrucker

It's a nice truck and I would not be spraying any "start dammit" into engine. If you are not getting fuel address that.
Thanks Jazz, no starter fluid/fuel I had a friend crank her over today while I inspected with the cover off the cleaner box. I saw some fuel and smelled it to.
So next I went over to take a plug wire off the front plug and cranked while tapping against some metal/ground. No sparks, plugged it back in and removed the wire from the coil and tried that one, no sparks again. So what do I need to replace?

ToyTrucker

That's funny TDave,
I never noticed but only watched toy story once.
I'm 90% there but it would feel a little creepy driving around like that. lol

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Cranking with no start is why I recommend staying away from using ether.. All you would have done is fill engine with ether and when it does fire could cause serious engine damage. Not familiar with your engine,,likely a coil of sorts required or ignition box. See your trucks repair manual.

TDave

100 Posts
might be a dumb question, but would that think have points in it, or is it electronic ignition?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts

TruckOn

Wow for the age that truck is in good shape and looks nice. I never even heard of this model/make myself. I guess I am living under a rock somewhere lolol

ToyTrucker

So I finally found some time to pick up a multi-meter and soldering iron and some solider since I could not locate my other kit after moving, I just found out 50% of the Radio Shacks closed down in California!
So by the time I finally got to that wire connecting the distributor to the coil/ignition it was hanging by 3 threads so I soldered them together.

ToyTrucker

I believe the coil/ign is not getting signal but I did find power going to the coil through one of those wires.

Related Content You Might Like: