• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Camping Last time you camped?

DunkinDog

I haven't went was 5 years ago, before my wife found out she was pregnant. I am hoping to go this summer. I was waiting for her to be old enough and we feel being 4 is a good age for camping.

So when was the last time you went camping? What did you do on your trip?

TruckOn

I went to a cabin last year, does that count as camping? A group of us went down to this lake area that has some nice cabins. We stayed for a week and it was a blast!!!

Britanica

TTC Chicks
I haven't been camping since I was 20! It has been quite a while and that was when I stayed in a tailor so not "campy camping". lol I remember I caught a catfish before everyone else :D

BaxterThomas

I go camping all the time. I hate being stuck inside. There is nothing I hate more than being stuck behind four walls. I like to be out where my lungs can suck in as much clean air as possible.

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
My boyfriend and I camp all the time- which is exactly why we got our 4Runner and Tacoma. We wanted vehicles that could take us where we wanted to go and hold all of our supplies along the way. We live in Alaska, so obviously we have an amazing array of camping opportunities. We're actually headed to the Willow area this weekend to go moose hunting. Should be quite the adventure. It'll be our first time hunting with the Tacoma.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Been quite a few years since I have been camping. When I get my camper completed I will be back at it!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
DID SOMEONE ASK ABOUT CAMPING TRIPS? ;););););)

So, this is the year of trips and getting away from the craziness of the DFW Metroplex. The Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington Metropolitan Statistical Area is now the 4th largest MSA in the United States and if it keeps growing at the current rate it will overtake Chicago as the 3rd largest MSA in the US.

Anyhow, I grew up in the Northwest and in particular I spent a lot of time in the mountains up in Northern Idaho, the high desert in Eastern Washington and we spent some time traveling around on trips going to Southern California, Eastern Oregon, Montana, British Columbia, Alberta and other wonderful places on God's green earth.

SO WE BOUGHT A 2015 JAYCO TRAILER
We bought a trailer this year (check out the details in the garage writeup) and have gone out a total of 4 times this year in the trailer, plus we did a couple of car trips that we didn't take the trailer. It's been amazing. Here's a short list of where we've gone so far this year and where we've got planned for later this year as well.

2015 Camping Trips
  1. March 2015 - East Texas & Oklahoma
    We just bought the trailer and went on a week-long trip while it was still cool outside. This was wonderful and very refreshing and brought us closer together as a family.
    • Drove to Hayes RV in Longview, TX to pick-up the trailer.
    • Camped in the wonderful Lake of the Pines campground near Longview, TX
    • Drove up to Beaver's Bend state park near Broken Bow, OK
    • It rained on us there, so we headed west to the incredible Chickasaw National Campground near Sulphur, OK.
  2. June 2015 - Hill Country Texas
    Just when school was getting out we took a short trip to Marble Falls, Texas. I had never been deep into the Texas Hill Country before, it was amazing, we are going to go back here around Thanksgiving.
    • Stayed at an upscale campground on Lake LBJ near Marble Falls, TX.
  3. July 2015 - San Antonio, Texas
    My wife's friend came down from Minnesota with her two boys and we went to SeaWorld and looked at the sights in San Antonio for a couple of days.
    • Found an average campground about 1/2 mile from SeaWorld in San Antonio, TX.
    • Used the trailer as a "crash pad" to go back to for the kids to take naps, eat snacks and more.
  4. July 2015 - Florida
    We didn't go camping (we almost took out trailer, but decided against it at the last minute) but we went to the NAS Pensacola with some family friends and stayed on base at the Navy Lodge.

Other than spending a day at the National Naval Aviation Museum (which is awesome), this trip didn't go as planned ... I threw my back out, my oldest boy fell and hit his head on the corner of a wall and needed to get stitches (superficial wound, but needed to be closed up) and my wife got sick with a 103-degree fever after she got bit by some biting horse flies.
    • Drove from DFW to Clinton, MS (Jackson) stayed for the night.
    • Nice easy drive the next morning into Pensacola, FL.
    • Stayed in the Navy Lodge at Pensacola NAS with a group for a reunion.
  5. August 2015 - Went to Colorado
    This was the big trip that we took a full week to take, honestly we should have taken 10 days or even 14 days but maybe next year we can do this long of a trip.

One of the problems is that the trailer really is the maximum weight that I can tow with my current tow vehicle, so while I could technically drive at 70+ MPH on the flats, I lost so much MPG that I really tried to stick to 60 MPG as the difference between 60 and 70 MPH was maybe 40% fuel economy, which is a massive difference.

Anyhow, we had a fantastic trip:
    • Drove from DFW to Jellystone Campground (Yogi Bear Themed Park) just south of Wichita Falls, TX.
      • Kids played there all morning long as they've got a lot to do at these Yogi Bear campgrounds.
    • We left at noon the next day drove to Palo Duro Canyon State Park (The #1 rated State Park in the US and the 2nd largest Canyon in the US) about 30 miles south of Amarillo, TX.
      • Spent about 18 hours here and it's AMAZING. We are going back for sure over and over again in the future.
    • Then we packed up and made a long 10-hour drive to Colorado!
      • I had never made this drive before, so I followed the GPS's "shortest distance" route. This took us up and over some massive mountain passes including one that was nearly 10,000 feet elevation!
      • This route was 80 miles shorter for us from Amarillo, but it probably took longer because we had to slow down on the passes and probably had to refuel one additional time.
    • We made it to South Fork, CO and camped at the Riverbend Resort Campground, which was very nice and was the camping tent filming location for the 1983 movie National Lampoon's Vacation with Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo.
      • We stayed in Colorado for several days and explored as far south as Pagosa Springs and we went into Creede (which is an awesome looking mountain town) and did other fun stuff.
    • Drove back home through Santa Fe, NM. No mountain passes on this route so even though it was longer in miles, it was an easier and probably faster drive.
    • Stopped again in Amarillo, TX at a hotel (because on the damaged trailer table and other problems in the trailer) and drove home the next day.
  6. November 2015 - Marble Falls & San Antonio, Texas
    We're going back to this part of the state this fall. No specific plans as of right now, but probably a 5 day trip.

Related Content You Might Like: