• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Rough idle, Pinging, Oil Warning light came on

I recently acquired a 1991 Toyota short bed pick up with 44,500 miles. 22 RE engine. Truck had been sitting for 3 years. So far, I'm running Techron in gas tank (new tank, sending unit, fuel filter), new rotor, cap, wires, spark plugs. Idles rough and sputters at exhaust.

Took it on a 15 mile drive on the Interstate to run Techron through fuel system. Starting pinging more as I went on but not constantly. Looked down and saw oil warning light on. Pulled over and checked the oil which was at normal level. Engine temp gauge was always in the normal range. Restarted it, oil light was off, drove it home on city streets and warning light did not come on all the way home. At cold start up, engine is noisy as if there is lack of lubrication, and lasts about 5-10 seconds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Hook a mechanical gauge to the system.
Just an oil light could be a bad pressure sending unit
But with the start up noise that indicates clogged oil passages or weak oil pump.
After the mech pressure gauge Id probably run a good system cleaner in the oil and change it again.
If the problem goes away great, if it persists you might need to loook at dropping the pan and changing the oil pump.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Forgot to address the rough idle, if you havent done it yet try running a can of sea foam, probably lots of gelled fuel in the injection system after sitting.
If sea foam doesnt work you might need to remove and clean the injectors and IAC valve.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I agree on hooking up a mechanical oil gauge. My experience with clogged oil passages is the valves will start to clatter and need to be reset ... had a mitsubishi engine that was internally filthy and likely had to reset valves 3 times before I finally got the system purged. I was unclogging passages with mechanics wire they were that bad.. I would also run a can of Rislone through the engine oil and then change oil.

Good input! My mechanic dropped the pan and said it was solid sludge. He cleaned it out including the screen, replaced the oil pump, and a plastic part at the timing chain. It's now sounds solid and tight. As to the miss at idle, he said to continue to use an injector cleaner to see if that clears it up.

Took it to my mechanic. He dropped the pan and it was sludge, including 70% of screen. He cleaned everything up including passages. He installed a new oil pump. He put a new fan clutch on it. As to the miss, he said to put a product by Lucas in it that cleans injectors and carbon deposits and drive it. I've been doing this. Rough idle comes and goes, but does it most of the time. Hopefully it will get better as things circulate. Drove it steadily at 65-70 and the oil light did not come on.
I notice dampness on top of the charcoal canister even after I drive it. I notice that the idle will speed up and then suddenly settle down, but when the fan clutch kicks in it doesn't speed up but stays steady. Would the canister have to do with any of symptoms?
Finally, the noise today that I thought was a light ping/detonation I'm now thinking might be the timing chain/guide issue. Because when I have the hood up, and rev it some and let off I'm hearing the noise which I think I was hearing at steady highway speed. This engine only has under 44K on it. Is it normal for the guide to fail at that low mileage? When the mechanic had it apart to do the oil pump would it have been good to do the timing chain guide?!?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Wait a sec, I missed this thread. HOW many miles? You mean on a rebuilt engine or something?

No, original. Think I'll do the Seafoam thing. OK to suck it on through vacuum house going to brake Iunit? And to put some in crankcase?

Yesterday, it ran the smoothest yet. No popping at the exhaust, engine smooth. Then last night I took it for a drive and it was, to me, starving for fuel. it was running horribly, rough and for the first time the Check Engine Light came on. I would think that if it were a vacuum leak it would consistently run rough. But since it was running so well for a while yesterday, I'm thinking it's fuel injector related, no?

Is there a code reader device for a 1991 Toyota Pickup (has EFI) or do you count the blinks on the Check Engine Light method, or either?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Fill it up again, wonder if sediment was kicked up in the bottom of the tank?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I had a OT truck that sat for 2 years...I could not get 5 miles without the fuel filter plugging up.. I removed gas tank and rinsed. Could not believe the crap laying in bottom of tank. ...not just rust but "sediment" that looked like sulphur,,,,anyway,,that cured the problem.

I learned about obtaining codes using a jumper. I get #25 and #31. Since the FSM lists several potential causes associated with each code, are there some things that are usually the culprit(s) and I could begin with them?

I tested the AFM in accordance with the FSM and help online and was able to determine that it was defective. I replaced it and it made a huge difference. Much more stable and it idles smoothly. However, when the A/C is turned on it idles too high and I'm still getting a slight ping.

Related Content You Might Like: