• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Bad fuel economy on 86 Toyota any ideas

kona26

It seems like the mornings are the worst I can see the gage drop within the first 15 miles. Might be me. I havnt ran a full tank yet and on pace for about 220

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Your truck sounds like it is running good,,,just a little thirsty Cold weather can effect fuel mileage,,,mine has been poor the past few weeks add to the fact of having to run in 4WD also increases fuel use. I assume you have carb,,,is the choke opening all the way...anything i have ever had with a electric choke I have switched to manual choke.....gives you absolute control over the choke!
Really, you've moved to a manual choke on all your vehicles? Is that because of the cold winters?

kona26

I have not checked compression yet that is the one thing that I want to do. I do not know how but I will be looking into it. And I have not checked the smell. What should I be smelling for ? I will check tomarrow.

kona26

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422251064.817781.jpg
this about 70 miles. Seems to be doing better But my last tank when I hit half tank it seemed to drink gas faster.

Compression check is simple you can puck up a decent tool at harbor freight for about 20-25$ and you just thread hose into sparkplug holes hook up the gauge place in sight and crank engine a few times and repeat on each cylinder BE SURE TO REMOVE FUEL RELAY OR FUSE FIRST

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I am not familiar with the carb you have however I have seen malfunctioning ford carbs. On those if you looked down the throat of carb at idle and could see fuel spraying it was malfunctioning and causing fuel mileage to be around 6mpg...mind you the best I could get was 14mpg with our larger imperial gallon.

bmrtoyo

Hello I have a 86 4x4 on 32 1250 15 -- body lift. I have owned this truck for about 3 years. And I has never gotten good gas millage. I just did a minor tune up plugs wires cap rotor coil. I am getting about 150-170 per tank. I have been reading that It should be around 270. Is there something else I should be looking into ? Or is this normal. I drive to and from work about 6 miles a day normal driving and have been running chevron plus. Thank you for any input. And please if I am leaving info out let me know. Truck 86 4 cyl 22 re
k check o2 sensor ,,timing ,valve lash ,, vacuum leaks cold start time switch and injector if its starting hard ,, my 86 efi was just gobbling fuel ,took it to 5 shops including dealership ,, all it was was ,drum roll ,,,,,,,,,,,,coolant temp sensor was out , $ 20.00 part! mileage doubled!! runs like a scalded cat now!!!i have no faith in these idiot mechanics ,bought a factory service manual and a fluke meter ,got all my tools already ,, im not letting anyone but myself touch my vehicles anymore ,, sorry for long post

Last edited:

kona26

Cool thank you. ! Yeah I am looking to get about the same as before. Feels like I have alittle more power but still crappy fuel. I am on pace for about 180 this tank. What are you getting now ? Some one also told me to check the fuel pressure regulator

bmrtoyo

Cool thank you. ! Yeah I am looking to get about the same as before. Feels like I have alittle more power but still crappy fuel. I am on pace for about 180 this tank. What are you getting now ? Some one also told me to check the fuel pressure regulator
im getting 18 ish in town up to 23 mpg highway if i lightfooot her,, yes fuel pressure regulator ,good idea also ,,you can use starting fluid around the intake and plenum etc at idle your vehicle and see if idle picks up ,do you have a vacuum gauge?? ,check youre vacuum at idle ..youre injectors could be dirty ,try and run a can of sea foam through the tank and rev it up under load and clean it out ,i run a can through every 90 days or so ,,, i know this is alot of info but it covers most of the problem areas,,, ,ive owned yotas since the 80's,,you say youre looking to get same mileage as" before" ?,did you change where you buy you're fuel ,or what changed when you're mileage dropped?, also i run non ethanol mid grade or alternate between premium non ethanol, when i can find it .............

samm57

I've been getting 19 MPG in town, 23+ on the highway, with 22RE, stock everything except 31X10.5X15 tires and a tube rear bumper. I'm usually at 200 miles when the gauge hits half way (which is less than half the gas remaining).

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I've been getting 19 MPG in town, 23+ on the highway, with 22RE, stock everything except 31X10.5X15 tires and a tube rear bumper. I'm usually at 200 miles when the gauge hits half way (which is less than half the gas remaining).
That seems about right.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Let's see pics of your truck.

Related Content You Might Like: