• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2006 Tacoma Problems - Hesitating W/ P0171 & P0174 Codes ~ Fuel Pump

Fixing Tacoma

Hi everybody new to this site & Thanks for having me. Looks like a great bunch of people. I purchased a 2006 Tacoma with 50000 miles on it it is like new all stock. I notice when I accelerated hard to get on the freeway it hesitates a little like it is running out of fuel I started to get a CEL P0171 & P0174 which indicates System to Lean Bank 1 and bank 2 I cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the air filter & checked for vacum leaks cleared codes. Drove it for one week then same codes came back and still had the hesitation problem. So I replaced the MAF sensor and the Spark Plugs Drove for a week and the code came back and still had hesitation problem. It starts right up Idles great no hesitation when not under load. When the Cel light comes on so does three other lights they have a X by them
Lights Staying On.jpg

Do you think it is my fuel filter being clogged in the gas tank ? I notice these don't have and external fuel filter. Stupid design.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Before you do a fuel filter change SeaFoam the engine, Toyota engines respond well to a good cleaning.
50000 is a little early for a filter change on these trucks, they normally run three times that before requiring replacement unless the po ran fuel from a mom & pop station a lot.
You may also want to take a look at how dirty the precat sensor is.

Fixing Tacoma

Hi everyone thanks for the help. Here is the latest update. My friend came over Saturday and helped me check it out he is a pretty good mechanic. We checked for Vacum leaks and found none so we checked the PCV valve and it was pretty dirty so we replaced it and cleaned the origional MAF. We tried to do a fuel pump pressure test but found you need a special adapter to put in the line to test I still have not found it. My friend says that it is not the fuel pump or filter sock giving us troubles ??? I don't know if I agree. We reset the codes P0171 & P0174 and time will tell. The funny thing about it the last CEL code only showed P0171

Fixing Tacoma

Thanks again for all the help. I went to my buddies shop and he did a fuel pressure test and the reading was 30psi then he had me put it in gear and hold the brake and put a load to it and it drop to 28psi so now it is down to two things either Fuel Pressure Regulator or Fuel pump He said he thought it to be the Fuel pump which I was hoping that wasn't it. I have the shortbed and I am told to just undo the bed and slide it back to get to the fuel pump ?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I agree that this is a little early for any issues like this to popup. Who was the previous owner, where did you buy it at?

Fixing Tacoma

Hi everybody Again thanks for all the help. Well I went ahead and dropped the tank with my wifes help what a job and the fuel filter or sock looked bad was real dirty so I installed the URD 2005+ Tacoma V6, Fuel Pump/Filter Upgrade Kit (1GR-255LPH) Man what a difference it has more power and no more misses under load. I was going to slide the bed back and noticed that the fuel pump would have still been under the cab I think it might be that I have the short bed man I am happy I caught that. That sure would have been a waist of time. The upgrade made the truck run like New again. After 9 hours of doing upgrade I now have a happy truck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

Fixing Tacoma

Hi everybody and Merry Christmas Well ever since I put the new fuel pump in the truck it runs like brand new and has more power. Make sure you don't let your fuel gage drop below a 1/4 tank I understand that the gas is what keeps your pump cool. Time will tell but so far so good.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Glad you got more power to your truck with this upgrade kit. How's the mpg been treating you since the change?

Fixing Tacoma

WOW Funny you should ask I noticed a decrease in my mpg. I figured it is getting the right amount of fuel now I can't complain the truck is running great Happy to trade mpg verses running problems and Engine lights no more problems.

Last edited:

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
the MPG went down because the engine is running properly and getting more fuel into the engine, that gives you a lot more power and the engine is more responsive when you step on the gas, but yeah it's really going to eat up a lot more fuel when you're driving. I'm going to guess you're down 1 maybe 2 mpg overall?

Ellen

Glad to see you get better performance by upgrading the kit and I wonder when I had similar problems in past with my truck at work but they fixed it so I had no idea what went wrong.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
FWIW, we are running the Michelin LTX-AT2 tires on our Land Cruiser, and I find it to be an excellent tire for the snow we get here in Colorado. To clarify, I have driven the LC over the mountains to Denver several times this past winter, and never even a hint of lost traction. But, this WAS on snow & NOT ice.

A couple hundred pounds of sand bags in the truck bed might help with traction on slippery roads.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
FWIW, we are running the Michelin LTX-AT2 tires on our Land Cruiser, and I find it to be an excellent tire for the snow we get here in Colorado. To clarify, I have driven the LC over the mountains to Denver several times this past winter, and never even a hint of lost traction. But, this WAS on snow & NOT ice.

A couple hundred pounds of sand bags in the truck bed might help with traction on slippery roads.
Great to hear! You should do a post just on your tires.

TN TRD Guy

Hi everybody and Merry Christmas Well ever since I put the new fuel pump in the truck it runs like brand new and has more power. Make sure you don't let your fuel gage drop below a 1/4 tank I understand that the gas is what keeps your pump cool. Time will tell but so far so good.
Did you ever have more issues with your fuel pressure?

Related Content You Might Like: