• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

How Can Toyota Make The Tundra Even Better? Improvement Wishlist

James

100 Posts
The Toyota Tundra is an excellent truck. However, I am not a big fan of the design. I would love to see Toyota come out with a new design for the Toyota Tundra.

James

100 Posts
I would also like to see Toyota offer a more powerful engine in the Tundra. I like to tow heavy things with my truck and could use more power.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I would like to see a diesel engine and a nice stereo system!

Dutchie2012

I would like to see an option with heavier sheet metal, specially the bed. A friend of mine rolled a hay bale out the bed and bend the tailgate!!! Just sayin. And extended cab should have rear AC vents.
Love 5.7 engine, but it will never pull like a diesel so can't wait for that option.

toyotasrule

100 Posts
The Tundra is just too big for me. Looking at the numbers is the biggest full-size truck, is it not? Plus the huge engine they gave it really does allow it to do a lot, but unless you're towing a house who needs all that power all the time?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Remote start is a big complaint. Have to press lock button on remote twice, spin around on your head, push button again for 3 seconds.

Then it takes a few seconds to start, by this time it's 15 seconds later and i just wanted the truck to start while i get it loaded or whatever but i have you walk off and don't want my keys in it.

Even better, if i happen to unlock the truck ... remote started engine turns off.

Really?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
FYI: AFAIK, all Toyota remote start system work exactly as you described. Our 2015 LC200 does anyway, and I've read several other accounts that indicate they're all the same. No one is happy/pleased with it either.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Re: improving the Tundra. Please make a version small enough to fit in my garage. The current crew cab (all they offer now?) is 34 inches LONGER than my Land Cruiser, which makes it at least 30 inches too long. Also, offer a model that has all chrome painted the body color. Oh, and bring back the Rock Warrior package.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
FYI: AFAIK, all Toyota remote start system work exactly as you described. Our 2015 LC200 does anyway, and I've read several other accounts that indicate they're all the same. No one is happy/pleased with it either.
I have had 2 Chevy Traverses. They had their problems too, but the remote start and the interface of the dash were imho far better.

Here's the idea of remote start. It's a cold (or hot - works for this too) day and I need to get the engine warmed up and the heater blowing out heat before I get it. Let's just say it's raining and it's cold and it's the trash pickup day. So I remote start before going outside, but I've got my work bag with me so I open the door to put my bag in ... engine dies. So, I know I have 5 minutes left before I can get inside and drive, but i'm ok with having the truck sit at idle ... I have to decide if I want to put my keys in the truck and restart it, or close it up again for remote start ... or just forget the remote start.

I'd rather just have the remote start run until I click it off or set a time limit perhaps 5 minutes or so.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Re: improving the Tundra. Please make a version small enough to fit in my garage. The current crew cab (all they offer now?) is 34 inches LONGER than my Land Cruiser, which makes it at least 30 inches too long. Also, offer a model that has all chrome painted the body color. Oh, and bring back the Rock Warrior package.
There is a double cab option but it's not that much shorter. Yeah, my Tundra has no chance of fitting in my garage. I'm looking for a place outside of city limits where I can build a rear shop perhaps that will be large enough.

Randall Emory

I have the remote start also on my 2017 Tundra. The feature that cuts the engine off after it has been started with the remote start is aggravating. I was told that was a safety feature. I don't need that much safety. I owned GMC Sierra's for years and those vehicles remained running after they were started with the remote start, even when I was getting into the truck.
I would also like to have a digital readout speedometer. Sometime I have difficulty setting the cruise control exactly where I want it with the needle type speedometer. With the digital readout one can tell exactly what speed they are going.
Randall Emory

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I have the remote start also on my 2017 Tundra. The feature that cuts the engine off after it has been started with the remote start is aggravating. I was told that was a safety feature. I don't need that much safety. I owned GMC Sierra's for years and those vehicles remained running after they were started with the remote start, even when I was getting into the truck.
I would also like to have a digital readout speedometer. Sometime I have difficulty setting the cruise control exactly where I want it with the needle type speedometer. With the digital readout one can tell exactly what speed they are going.
Randall Emory
I agree. I don't need that much safety either.

My wife's Chevy Traverse ... you click lock, then click remote start. Then it starts. Then I can go out and open a door and put a bag in while the engine is running. I can open the back and put stuff in there. The kids can climb in and get situated. Then when I'm ready, I get in and put the key in and the engine doesn't have to start again.

The Toyota remote start means the vehicle isn't fully warmed up, plus it takes WAY too long to get the remote start to kick in. Then I have to have the engine stop when I get in and then just start it up again. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The Toyota Tundra is an excellent truck. However, I am not a big fan of the design. I would love to see Toyota come out with a new design for the Toyota Tundra.
Make the body smaller and lighter so it's easier to drive and the payload, towing and fuel economy go up to be competitive with the big 3. Offer a couple different rear axle ratios for those who don't need to tow.

DesertPig

Since I don't have the benefit of experience when it comes to trucks (this is my first truck - my last was an SUV and before that, a sedan) I have only the ability to compare it to other truck brands and their features. A few things I'd like is a fuel management system that allows for improvements in mileage. The 5.7 L V8 is rather thirsty and any way we can increase the efficiency to at least 18 mpg would be a great improvement. It would also be nice to have Apple Car Play.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
FWIW, recent online rumors point toward a "new" Tundra in 2020 or 2021. We've now had pretty much today's Tundra for 12 years without a new generation--just some major tweaks. Expectations are pretty low that we will see anything radically new. Maybe a turbo/super-charged V6 and a redone interior. No one seems to know much of anything for sure--maybe wishful thinking?

Yes, we need Apple Car Play and an Android system too. Get rid of Entune. Also get rid of the poor factory NAV system. Give us some stuff that works!

CMB

I'd like to see Toyota's Beancounters quit pulling features from one year to the next. Gone...…. Driver's side grab handle, Lights in door bottoms, Amber signal/flashers, Dual zone H/AC, Sliding console, Twin compartment Glove box, Lighted ignition ring, Under seat storage, Over head storage.All these features came standard on my 2010 SR5. What's next, will we lose the Gas Struts on the hood and have it replaced with a Prop Rod? I'm sure the Sequential Shifter will get deleted soon too, very few Tundra owner's "Dare" to make use of it anyway. o_O

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I'd like to see Toyota's Beancounters quit pulling features from one year to the next. Gone...…. Driver's side grab handle, Lights in door bottoms, Amber signal/flashers, Dual zone H/AC, Sliding console, Twin compartment Glove box, Lighted ignition ring, Under seat storage, Over head storage.All these features came standard on my 2010 SR5. What's next, will we lose the Gas Struts on the hood and have it replaced with a Prop Rod? I'm sure the Sequential Shifter will get deleted soon too, very few Tundra owner's "Dare" to make use of it anyway. o_O
This irritating practice is called "de-contenting" and is used by most vehicle manufacturers. Toyota started doing this in the mid-1990s, with the first de-contented vehicle being the "new" 1995 Tacoma. Personally, I also dislike this practice and really feel violated when I find things missing that I expect will be there. Sure, it saves costs & increases profit, but at the expense of customer satisfaction. Sadly, we have no choice except to complain, which does no good.

In 2010, we bought a new top-of-the-line Honda Accord, only to discover that over 100 items/parts that had been on the 2009 Accord were "de-contented" (missing) on the 2010 (same body/platform). No, I didn't personally count all these missing pieces, but another poster on the Honda forum I frequented actually did count & keep track of the missing pieces. The Honda dealer had no idea and was unable to do anything when I complained. In some cases, these missing pieces show up on higher trim level vehicles, but usually they just vanish.

So don't be surprised to find a prop rod on next year's Tundra.

Last edited:

CMB

Toyota will play hell getting me out of my 2010. A dash-change/refresh, new grill and a v-crimp here and there on the body, are half-assed attempts on their part. As time goes by, they remind me of a company that really isn't serious about competing in the market they chose to enter. They're leaning-on their reliability rep, just like Ford does on "The Largest Selling" truck. New customers won't notice but people who've been with them for any length of time, will begin to have their intelligence insulted. Toyota is happy as a dog in dirt to sell us their $12 Grab Handles for $50 + other items, so we can rebuild what their Prius driving Bean- Counter truck designers deleted.

Related Content You Might Like: