• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tips for driving in Texas rain

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Thought this was a good list, when I grew up in the VERY rainy Pacific Northwest, we never really had to deal with flash flood and thunderstorms.

The first average thunderstorm that I went through in the DFW area was worse than anything I'd ever seen before in my life. I remember going camping with someone who's dad talked about the heavy rainstorms that would hit the south where you just have to pull off to the side of the road because you can't see 10 feet in front of you.

Top 10 Tips for Driving in the Rain
Please have a look at our list and remember to always be safe when driving, especially when road conditions are less than ideal for your vehicle, whether you drive a car, truck, suv, crossover, minivan! Be safe!

#10 – Keep your vehicle well maintained.
Make sure you check your headlights, brakelights, taillights, turn signals, brakes, and windshield wipers regularly so you are prepared before the rain comes.

#9 – Stay home if you can!
Take the advice of the weather professionals. Stay off the road as much as you can during heavy thunderstorms and rain.

#8 – Decelerate slowly, don’t slam on the brakes.
If possible, plan to take your foot off the accelerator rather than braking to slow down. While most modern vehicles offer anti-lock brakes, braking quickly is not a great thing to do on a wet roads.

#7 – Pay attention!
Always be alert while driving, but even more alert while driving in the rain or other poor road conditions. Limit your distractions from other passengers, music, eating, etc. so you can focus your attention on the road. Never text and drive.

#6 – Stay in the tracks on the road.
If there are cars in front of you try to drive in their tracks to reduce the chance of hydroplaning and losing traction.

#5 Headlights on!
Turn your headlights on, even in the daytime. You can see the road better. Other drivers can see you better. It is a win-win situation.

#4 – Keep plenty of space!
Increase your following distance when it is raining. It takes longer to stop in the rain so the “3 second rule” should be increased to 5-6 seconds.

#3 – Try driving in the middle lanes.
Water floods the outside lanes first, so try to stay in the middle lanes as much as possible. Always keep an eye out of large puddles of standing water as well.

#2 – Plan ahead and give yourself extra time.
If you do not plan ahead to leave earlier than usual for work or school then you are more likely to drive at increased speeds, causing you to break our #1 tip.

#1 – SLOW DOWN!
One of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking they can drive the same speed in the rain as they would on dry roads. It takes much longer to stop on the wet roads and your vehicle has to adjust to lack of traction. Do yourself and everyone else on the road a huge favor, SLOW DOWN when the roads are wet!

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: