• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Towing with a Tacoma

Easygoing81652

Has anyone installed a 5th-wheel hitch on a 2nd Generation Tacoma (plastic bed)? I know it can be done, nay-Sayers need not respond. What I'm interested in is how did you distribute the weight over the frame...Did you use available universal stock supports and modify or did you fabricate your own attachment/weight distributing member for the bed?

GearHead

100 Posts
Tacomas just aren't deigned to tow a large trailer. That being said, I'm sure there is someone who has done this and has had some degree of success...

Easygoing81652

You are correct, the Tacoma is not designed to tow a large trailer. But, they are rated to tow 6500 lbs when properly equiped. That said, there are a couple of 5th wheel trailers that are built light enough to tow with a Tacoma. I can always pull a tow-behind toy-hauler, but my thought is to be able, with a 5th wheel, to tow something else behind it that wouldn't fit in a toy-hauler...If that makes any sence. I know, a Tundra would have solved any issues that I am questioning, but I didn't nor need the added size of a full size truck.

GearHead

100 Posts
Sure, makes sense. I'll look around and see if I can find any examples of this having been done; hopefully someone else on the forum here has some ideas.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Never seen it done but with a little work I dont see why it wouldnt be possible.
The Tacoma frame is plenty strong enough and set-up right directly to the frame it shouldnt affect the bed at all.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Heres some info I dug up on the subject:
If you scroll down the first site has a picture of a newer Tacoma towing a fifth wheel.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/95574-travel-trailer-vs-fifth-wheel.html

http://www.autoanything.com/towing/Toyota/Tacoma/111A50740A50322A0A17A173A1.aspx

Try googling "tacoma trailering 5th wheel" or variations and look at all the hits you get.
Really the only valid negative points I've seen yet may be with the brakes and the pin weight for certain trailers, but if you get a trailer with brakes and stick to smaller trailers these arent an issue anymore.

Easygoing81652

tbplus10, thanks for the sites. The tacomaworld looks like the best of the 2. Regarding the brake issue, no one should tow more than a 1,000lbs without brakes. As far as pin weight, the truck, with the factory hitch, has a 500lb tounge weight rating. So 500lbs plus over the axle should present no problems IMHO.

GearHead

100 Posts
Once again, tb comes to the rescue with some good insight. Easy, will you upload some pics for us once you get everything set up? I want to see this ;).

toyotasrule

100 Posts
I don't know if what I'm about to say makes sense, but what about placing sand weights in strategic places on the trailor? Would this help?

GregH

I'm sure if there is a will there is a way. So, how did this project work out for you so far? I want to see pics too. Oh, but I'm very sorry. I thought this was a new thread until after I started writing this post :(. If you are still around please show us.

eriks_tundra

From what I interpret, it can be done but it has to be done carefully right? :rolleyes:Next time I move I might need to know if it really does work.

Lester

I'm not sure I would attempt a tow with my truck, but I won't judge. :) (Also, I should never say never. LOL)

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, never say never, but please don't attempt to overdo the clearly stated limits of whatever truck or vehicle you're driving. Unless you're an expert, I would suggest you get counsel from whoever does aftermarket installs for you as well so you know what you can do.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I'd love to see a few pics of a 5th wheel pin enabled Tacoma if anyone has one please post it. I'm guessing that there are a lot of Tundras that have this, but I'd be surprised if very many Tacomas did.

Rootie

Just a side note- I personally have hauled 1 ton+ up about 2500 vertical ft of elevation repeatedly in my 2000 Tacoma TRD. It's not very pretty but it can be done with care so 500 lbs over the axle shouldn't be any problem.

Windsor

image.jpg
I know this is an old thread, but I'll revive it for a moment.
Anything can be done with the right planning and funds.

Related Content You Might Like: