• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Added a Backup Camera to Toyota Tacoma

rickoshay45

I wanted a backup camera for my 2014 Taco. When I checked it out I found that the double cabs have the wiring and the Entune display. It looked like all that had to be done was buy a camera, remove the hole cover and plug it in. Turns out Toyota wans over $600 for the camera!

Found a deal on after market from an outfit called Camera Source. I got the camera, cable and a Pop and Lock 5400 locking tail latch for under $300.

Good deal I needed the lock since I was worried someone might steal the tailgate.

I had to remove the tailgate cover and take out the latch handle and the OEM wire harness down to the disconnect by the spare tire. Installed the supplied cable and the new latch and we were good to go. Easy!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
That's awesome, do you have some before and after pics? How long did it take to get done?

rickoshay45

Out of town gettin the last youngun hitched. I'll try to get some pics next week. The lock was one of those self keying types to it now takes my ignition key.

rickoshay45

Forgot the Pics:latest 062.jpg latest 059.jpg

I wanted a lock for the tailgate when I found out how easy it was to steal it. Toyota wants over $1K for a replacement and ebay has tons of these for sale. Where do you think they got them? The Pop n Lock is neat because it is a self keying type. You put your key in for the first time and turn it all the way around once and it is done. You can feel the pins cutting themselves to the correct length when you do it. You only get one shot so you need to be real careful when you do it!

rickoshay45

Yep! 20 minutes. The only caveat is flipping one of the tailgate actuator rods end for end, but the directions cover that.

Windsor

Nice. I need to get a new camera. I have one of the cheap ones that is made to go through a panel. I mounted it on the panel next to the hole for the spare tire rod. Broke the first one running through the desert, and the picture on the new on is crap.
As far as the tailgate lock, I've heard lots of good things about the Pop & Lock. I went the cheap route with a hose clamp. I put it on when I had my bumper off, so I put the screw head in a position that will require the bumper to come off to get to. Eventually, I will do what you did with the lock and camera.

One question. What kind of wiring does the camera have for the video signal? I don't have factory wiring for a camera on my truck, so I used a standard video cable from my camera to my in-dash screen.

rickoshay45

Nice. I need to get a new camera. I have one of the cheap ones that is made to go through a panel. I mounted it on the panel next to the hole for the spare tire rod. Broke the first one running through the desert, and the picture on the new on is crap.
As far as the tailgate lock, I've heard lots of good things about the Pop & Lock. I went the cheap route with a hose clamp. I put it on when I had my bumper off, so I put the screw head in a position that will require the bumper to come off to get to. Eventually, I will do what you did with the lock and camera.

One question. What kind of wiring does the camera have for the video signal? I don't have factory wiring for a camera on my truck, so I used a standard video cable from my camera to my in-dash screen.

They seem to have all the bases covered with applications and cables etc. for everything. Give them a call and they will tell you what you need,

Related Content You Might Like: