• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Dash Cam Recommendations?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Are any of you folks using a dashcam in your vehicles? I would like to buy one and download some of the excitement at work but I have seen little in the way of reviews that are not bias...seems all the reviews are by vendors instead of users. I would be using the dashcam for night use 90% of the time.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I want one as well, anyone? I found this from dashcamtalk.com

The Best “Bang for your Buck” Dash Cams
DASH CAM
PRICE
KEY SPECS
VIDEO QUALITY
RELIABILITY
FINAL WORD

G1W

$52
1920x1080p 30fps
No GPS
2.7" Screen
Sm Size: 113x46x32mm
Day: Very Good
Night: Average
Average
Best video quality for $60, much better than the DVR-207.

B40 / A118

$70
1920x1080p 30fps
GPS Optional
1.5" Screen
Sm Size: 62x39x18mm
Unknown
A great upgrade from the G1W if you are looking for better build quality and a more discreet form factor.

Mobius

$85
1920x1080p 30fps
No GPS
No Screen
Sm Size: 61x35x18mm
Good
The best discreet camera for $85. Great video quality, size and support.

Powerucc Panorama S

$185
1920x1080p 30fps
GPS Optional
2.7" Screen
Sm Size: 103x48x36mm
Night: Good
Excellent
For 2013, one of the best for video quality even at night. Fully featured high end camera.

Vico-TF2+ Premium

$220
1920x1080p 30fps
No GPS
2.4" Screen
Med Size: 101x66.5x34mm
Excellent
Video quality is impressive and overall solid camera. No GPS and size are biggest drawbacks.

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
More from dashcamtalk.com

New 2014 Dashboard Cameras
DASH CAM
PRICE
KEY SPECS
VIDEO QUALITY
RELIABILITY
FINAL WORD

Innovv C1
$70
1920x1080p 30fps
No GPS
No Screen
Sm Size: 62x39x18mm
Unknown
A decent competitor against the Mobius. Might be ideal depending on your needs

SJ4000
$100
1920x1080p 30fps
No GPS
1.5" Screen
Med Size: 59 x 41 x 29
Average
A GoPro clone for a reasonable price. Great action cam and ok as a dash cam.

Mini 0803$100
2304 x 1296p 30fps
GPS Optional
1.5" Screen
Sm Size:
75 x 47 x 35
Unknown but has loose mount and over sharpening issue
Discreet, small, GPS and reasonably priced. If it proves to be reliable, it is a good buy.

DIMIKA
$100
1920x1080p 30fps
No GPS
No Screen
Sm Size:
64x38x16mm
Unknown
More expensive and worse video quality than the Mobius for dash cam use. Get the Mobius instead.

GT680W
$110
1920x1080p 30fps
GPS Optional
2.7" Screen
Sm Size: 80x50x35mm
Small capacity battery is a concern
Excellent compact cam with GPS. A best buy if reliability is good.

Transcend DrivePro 200
$170
1920x1080p 30fps
No GPS
2.4" Screen
Med Size:
67×72×34.3mm
Good
For the money this is a good buy if you want WiFi. If WiFi is not important, consider a smaller, more discreet camera.

Vico-Marcus 3
$225
2304 x 1296p 30fps
GPS Optional
2" Screen
Med Size: 72x53x33mm
Unknown
Has a lot of potential from a hardware perspective but the initial performance does not justify the price.

BlackVue DR750LW-2CH
$440
F:1920x1080p 30fps
R:1920x1080p 30fps
GPS optional
4" Screen
Lg Size 107.2x67.5x20.5mm
Unknown
A feature packed dual camera with 1080p 30fps front and rear. Large size, high price and low bit rate are negatives.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I got one identical to G1 in your first post. Shipped direct from china which is obvious due to the lack of instructions, only a couple pages describing the features, with words that are not in any dictionary. WTF is "changan"? I have no idea how to use the thing. I had to contact seller just to find out how to select language format. I am not a tech whiz by any means. I do have it recording on a 3 minute loop but have yet to figure out how to save recordings.. Contacted seller again. She replies in the Kings English..

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I was shocked to see how cheap the low end units cost. Might have to pick one up pretty soon.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I got one identical to G1 in your first post. Shipped direct from china which is obvious due to the lack of instructions, only a couple pages describing the features, with words that are not in any dictionary. WTF is "changan"? I have no idea how to use the thing. I had to contact seller just to find out how to select language format. I am not a tech whiz by any means. I do have it recording on a 3 minute loop but have yet to figure out how to save recordings.. Contacted seller again. She replies in the Kings English..
Where did you buy it? Amazon or ebay? I've been hearing a lot of people lately say that they are getting orders straight from China when ordered on Amazon.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I bought mine on ebay,,shipped direct to USA from china. Lots of the chinese are knockoffs so buyer beware. I am slowly figuring my dash cam out,,,very slowly Shipping to Canada costs more. I go down to the border every few weeks to pick up cheap gas, butter, auto parts and shiny trinkets.
Last night i had to give a cop a statement as a witness to a idiot truck driver running someone off the highway. I looked at my camera as the incident happened but I had no idea how to "save" the video. I called HSEC to report. Then when the cops stopped the truck the drivers' had switched seats. My description of driver did not match that of the guy driving. I told cop to see if there was a second driver. Sure enough ol' mr. towelhead was crouched down in the passenger seat,,,,why he did not hide in the bunk???. Not sure what transpired but I know they were held up for at least 1 1/2 hours. Likely a few tickets...

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Oh frigggin' hilarious for a guy who has trouble turning on a tv,,,was easy when you just clicked power and now having to determine source etc, now another "apple" remote...my house sitter phoned me this summer " how do you turn on tv" I told her there's a Scrabble board in the closet if the challenge to too daunting..
I do however have most of the DVR figured out to shock and amazement of family....i was diligent because there are no commercials on the dvr video..

TDave

100 Posts
What do you want to use a dash cam for? What kind of work do you do?

I know guys that own motorcycles that use a Go Pro camera with a specific type of mount on them, they deliver great video, but I'm not aware of them being used as a dash cam.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
There are people who have proven that they didn't cause an accident, just from the dash cam footage.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I have mine in my big truck at work. Mostly to use as a witness.. I can see the moose better than the camera at night. It's good enough for that but going to shop around for something better... GO PRO's are going to be a thing of the past real soon so won't bother spending that kind of money...Saw some very low cost new technology that will be available soon...

Related Content You Might Like: