• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

'08 Tacoma jack clearance and jack part?

mmw

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi, I tried to use my OEM jack for the first time (no flat) just to see how it worked and confirm if it would jack up my pop up camper if ever needed.

Unfortunately the jack will not raise my 2008 TRD Off-Road with Cooper Discover ATP 265/75R16s high enough to change a fully inflated tire. I am assuming I've correctly placed the jack based on the owners manual and the fact I'm relatively competent....though I've been wrong before!

Can anyone offer guidance on the correct way to successfully use the OEM jack?

Secondly does anyone know what the second pics are of? This plastic piece was located in the jack area under the back seat. I couldn't find reference to this piece in the manual. Thx for any help!

Taco Matt

rickoshay45

The part you show hooks to the rear wall behind the seats. If you look, you will see keyhole slots that it will fit in. I use mine for a flashlight holder.

mmw

Thx for the info! one down, one to go....

btw, the jack is fully extended in the photo.

yes, it is a flashlight holder. Mag-Light fits well in there.
As for the Jack, carry some blocks of wood, buy a Hi-Lift, or get an aftermarket scissor jack.... just make sure what 'ift range you need to get a tire off LEVEL ground... again, you might need wood blocks (scrap pieces of 2x6) for off-road use.

Jesse

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I dont have a new model Tacoma (mines a 1999), but I learned back in the eighties if your gonna lift and bolt on larger tires the first thing you should do is toss the factory jack and purchase a suitable aftermarket jack, something like an SUV hydraulic, long frame floor jack, or Hi-Lift if youve got rock rails and or decent aftermatket bumpers to support the truck.
Saddly most 4 wheel drive trucks cant even be lifted by the factory jack with the largest size tire offered by the mfgr.
You might also see if theres a suitable spot for the jack under the axle, they normally sit much lower than the frame.

mmw

rickoshay good1.
tbplus, thx i'm looking for aftermarket jack opts that i can store in the under seat compartment...I love my dbl cab but space is a minor issue if you don't want to store on the floor. A couple of blocks of wood may have to be my less than great solution. And yes, these are stock rim n tire size.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Roll the truck up over a parking curb or speed bump to give the jack some extension. I would not lift a truck without a block of wood as we don't have paved shoulders in my neck of the woods, its annoying have the ground give way with the truck lifted and the wheel off. The factory jack is more reliable than most offshore hydraulic jacks which I have found to be manufactured with inferior seals which will fail at the most inopportune time.

Related Content You Might Like: