• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Car not starting

mattmro444

I bought a 2004 MG ZR 1.4 petrol with only 36,000 miles on it back in January and despite identifying a few problems with it (last time I buy from that dealer) it's been running fine. Then one day I went to start it and nothing, wouldn't even turn over. Figured it was the battery, bought a new one and discovered my lights were on. Why I couldn't tell you since last time I used it was in the middle of a very sunny day, I guess I must have knocked it by accident? Whatever, I thought that would be it sorted, except I still can't get the thing to start. It at least turns over and sometimes even runs for 1-5 seconds, I even got a couple of revs out of it once but then it just cuts out again.

Things I know to be wrong with it that might give clues. Head gasket is going, I was going through a lot of coolant (there's enough in it right now) and I tried to use some K-Seal hoping it was just a leak that could be plugged as that worked on my old car. I noticed checking it today there is a milky white layer on top of the coolant which I believe is further indication of head gasket problem, but that shouldn't stop the car from starting right?

BR//

MRO SUPPLY

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Sounds like you might have a fuel delivery problem.
To properly troubleshoot you need to check for spark, if spark is present then spray a small amount of starting fluid in the intake, if it stats and runs only a fews seconds chances are its fuel related.

Related Content You Might Like: