• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1987 toyota pickup engine swapping questions

jkeller87

Hi i have a 1987 toyota pickup with a 22r engine in which i am pulling to get rebuilt but i have a mazda b2000 engine with 10000 miles and has a 5speed tranny with it i was just wanting to know if the mazda engine would fit into my toyota without doing much modifying if any for the time being untip my engine is done if anyone knows i would greatly appreciate it!!

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The engine won't mate up to transmission....mazda has a very small input shaft compared to the beastly shaft of a Toyota. I have both mazda and toyota clutch alignment thingys in my tool box.

jkeller87

The mazda is an engine and tranny together i didnt know about exhaust motor mounts and driveshaft lining up

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Anythings possible, but not always recomended.
The work required to convert over to the Mazda engine and trans wouldnt be worth the money you might save by not rebuilding.
Start with custom engine and trans mounts relocated to fit frame/engine, then a custom clutch linkage, throttle linkage, custom length driveshafts with Toyota u joint on one end and Mazda on the other.
Wire harness matching for engine and dash gauges.
And many other custom touchs to get everything working right.
Ive put 2 non-Toyota engines in 84 to 88 model Toyota trucks, a Buick Type T turbo engine with matching 4spd auto and early 70's 73/4" Chevelle r/r axle, and a 1990 twin turbo RX7 Rotory engine and matching auto trans.
Both were a challenge and so many bugs to work out I swore I'd never attempt swaps like that again.

Related Content You Might Like: