• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Questions about repair/replacing '04 Tacoma power steering hose

ActionClaw

2004 Toyota Tacoma SR5
5-speed, 4WD, 5VZ FE engine

Power steering leak.
I'll have to (triple-) check but it appears to be from the hose that runs from the power steering pump across to the passenger side; apparently due to corrosion on the line's steel section.

I have two questions:

In theory, it's a simple job: "disconnect two ends of a hose and reconnect them" but, in practice, it (at least on the driver's side) looks as if it may be going into a few hard to access locations. On the driver's side I assume one removes the wheel, all the wheel well plastic but then must anything else be removed to disconnect the hose end? To those of you that have already replaced a 2004 Toyota Tacoma power steering hose(s), how difficult a job is it?

If I can pinpoint the leak (which at this point, seems to be just behind the radiator, passenger side) would it be acceptable to slip a piece of rubber tubing over it and add a clamp or 2?

Thanks for any input

I have not done this, but I would say for a temp fix, sure.... clamp some tubing, it may only slow the leak though. Best bet is to get a new, correct hose or have one made (Hose-Man). If it has threaded fittings, I would also make sure to use a "flare" wrench, or "line" wrench. And anything you can remove to gain access (within reason) will definately help. These new trucks sure dont have alot of room to work.... wish I could be of more help.

Jesse

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Usually replacing power steering hoses is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on... your idea for a repair is possible but only as a temporary solution. The hose will no doubt rupture beyond repair at the most inconvenient time and place.

Related Content You Might Like: