• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

95 22RE Fuel Filter replacement

ARMTDAWG586064

I just bought this TRK and it has 254K+ plus miles on it. Never owned (Toyota) one before so need some advise on it. I am having other issues but think I have them worked out. The previous owner never changed the Fuel Filter and I am base-lining all the fluids and filters as this TRK is a keeper and fix up for hunting and 4x4.
In the Haynes manual it says to remove the Starter to replace Fuel Filter. I haven't check yet for room but I have big hands and hard to get into any small areas..the EGR Valve was a big knuckle buster, finger, arm scrapper as it was. So anybody ever change this filter without removing the starter?

V/R

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I have not changed that filter,,when guy replaced my engine last year he changed the fuel filter and commented on how it would be a nasty job had the engine not been on the hoist. This reminds me I should install a inline filter somewhere accessible so I never have to deal with the factory filter. I took a peak and yes I would remove the starter and then invite a friend with small hands over for beer. The starter on the 22re is not that difficult to remove,,now if it were a 3.0 you would be cursing 3 dialects of French to remove.

ARMTDAWG586064

I have not changed that filter,,when guy replaced my engine last year he changed the fuel filter and commented on how it would be a nasty job had the engine not been on the hoist. This reminds me I should install a inline filter somewhere accessible so I never have to deal with the factory filter. I took a peak and yes I would remove the starter and then invite a friend with small hands over for beer. The starter on the 22re is not that difficult to remove,,now if it were a 3.0 you would be cursing 3 dialects of French to remove.
I concur with your thoughts. I am going to get some fuel line and install a new inline filter system somewhere else as I plan on keeping this truck. Have much to learn about these trucks.

V/R

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Beware, when adding an inline fuel filter to a modern fuel injected engine your normally dealing with btwn 50 to 70 psi before the fuel regulator, which is normally mounted on or in close proximity to the fuel rail.
What this means is old style fuel hoses and clamps dont work well, they normally develop leaks at some time.
The correct way to add an inline filter to a high pressure fuel system is by flaring the lines and adding "AN" fittings on both sides of the filter. This method is safer, lessening the chance of line blow outs or fuel leaks.

ARMTDAWG586064

Beware, when adding an inline fuel filter to a modern fuel injected engine your normally dealing with btwn 50 to 70 psi before the fuel regulator, which is normally mounted on or in close proximity to the fuel rail.
What this means is old style fuel hoses and clamps dont work well, they normally develop leaks at some time.
The correct way to add an inline filter to a high pressure fuel system is by flaring the lines and adding "AN" fittings on both sides of the filter. This method is safer, lessening the chance of line blow outs or fuel leaks.
Thanks for input. I was going all rigid/solid line due to EFI system. Planning to get full system info research done to make sure I keep correct Fuel PSI as don't need the injectors acting up or as mentioned-leaks.

V/R

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Cool, I mostly posted that because the hazards of an improperly installed fuel filter are fresh in my memory.
Two weeks ago I stopped alongside the highway and unsuccesfully tried to help a young guy put out a fire on his 2012 Mustang GT.
He added a fuel filter on the inner frame rail by cutting the fuel line and using rubber fuel hose btwn the filter and metal lines.
When it leaked it shot directly onto the cat convertor, torched the whole car, within 2 minutes of catching fire the whole car was engulfed.
My 3, 10lb extinguishers had no affect at all.

ARMTDAWG586064

Cool, I mostly posted that because the hazards of an improperly installed fuel filter are fresh in my memory.
Two weeks ago I stopped alongside the highway and unsuccesfully tried to help a young guy put out a fire on his 2012 Mustang GT.
He added a fuel filter on the inner frame rail by cutting the fuel line and using rubber fuel hose btwn the filter and metal lines.
When it leaked it shot directly onto the cat convertor, torched the whole car, within 2 minutes of catching fire the whole car was engulfed.
My 3, 10lb extinguishers had no affect at all.

I don't mind advice anytime, I try and learn something everyday. I don't care how many times I have done the same thing, I'll still read the book. If it's one thing I learned in life, if I knew everything, God wont be so lonely......so I'll keep learning.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I concur with your thoughts. I am going to get some fuel line and install a new inline filter system somewhere else as I plan on keeping this truck. Have much to learn about these trucks.

V/R
We also found with my sons 89 Toyota that when it had developed a fuel leak near the tank it was faster and easier to lift the box off the truck to access and repair the leak. Just a matter of 4 or 6 bolts and disconnecting tail lights to remove box.

if ya can't fix it with duct tape it must be a electrical problem

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
My son changed the fuel filter on his '89 toyota truck 22re last week....he did not have to remove starter but accessed filter from passenger side wheel well. An awkward process removing top bolt of filter which you can't really see. Likely spent 1/2 hour to do the job.

4Xtruck

I'm not saying this is an easy project, but you don't need to remove the starter. Every time I have to do this project I complain to my son (the engineer) about this stupid engineering design. It could have been put anywhere between the tank and the engine, but they picked the most out of the way place to locate it.

Jack up the passenger front side and remove the tire. Next remove the rubber and metal that prevents you from seeing the engine through that wheel well. When that is out of the way, you have access to the fuel filter. Just make sure you install it in the correct direction. It's no fun, but it is doable.

ARMTDAWG586064

I'm not saying this is an easy project, but you don't need to remove the starter. Every time I have to do this project I complain to my son (the engineer) about this stupid engineering design. It could have been put anywhere between the tank and the engine, but they picked the most out of the way place to locate it.

Jack up the passenger front side and remove the tire. Next remove the rubber and metal that prevents you from seeing the engine through that wheel well. When that is out of the way, you have access to the fuel filter. Just make sure you install it in the correct direction. It's no fun, but it is doable.
Thanks, but have to replace ENG in it now and relocating the filter so won't be an issue later.

ARMTDAWG586064

Replace the engine?
That doesnt sound good.
Not good at all, drove home and got out and heard lots of gurgling in cooling system saw steam and oil coming out of exhaust. Lifted the hood saw oil everywhere and coolant reservoir empty, pulled dipstick it was full coolant and oil, let it cool down open radiator and 1 gal later it was full, topped off reservoir. Closed hood. Got couple quotes about yanking the head off and seeing what was wrong and found out it was just as cheap buying replacement engine and getting it installed verse replacing head, time cover and whatever else might be wrong. researched for replacement engine, was going with Performance Plus, but they had 4 month backlog so found Oregon Engine Rebuilders and bought one of their Super Stocks, they have a lifetime Warranty on their Engines which was a big no brainier. Soon it will be installed. Sure has been fun buying this truck.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I've heard of Oregon engine Rebuilders, they have a good rep in the off-road world.

ARMTDAWG586064

I've heard of Oregon engine Rebuilders, they have a good rep in the off-road world.
Between Them and Performance Plus can't go wrong I don't think, after all the research I did they were the top 2. Lot of good rebuilds out there, only Oregon Rebuilders has lifetime. If we had a machine shop closer then 90 miles away I think I would have rebuilt it but it would have been a big hassle.

Related Content You Might Like: