• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Charge light and Brake light lit

Den.

1987 22r carb engine. I Gunked down my engine and now both of those dash warning lights remain lit. And the dash back lighting behind the instruments has gone dark. I pulled apart and sprayed clean (Radio Shack connector cleaner) all of the cable connectors under the truck (near the oil filter) and in the engine compartment. I also checked and spray cleaned all the fuses and connectors in the engine fuse box and in the driver side fuse panel near the floor. Is there somewhere else I could look?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What do you mean you gunked down the engine? You sprayed with degreaser?

Den.

Yes. Gunk (with a capitol G) is the brand name of a popular engine degreaser. A very popular engine degreaser.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
It's actually GUNK. :)

Did you apply the gunk spray, let sit, and then hit it with a high-powered pressure sprayer? Check that all of your electrical connections are sound and well connected, that nothing came off, etc. That's typically what happens when people do that.

But you're looking at the Charge & Brake lights on your dash. Do you hear any squealing from the alternator? Check the connections to that really good as well.

Last edited:

Den.

Sorry for the late reply ... computer problems. The problem has been resolved. It turns out that when both the CHARGE light and BRAKE light are lit it is an indication of an alternator problem.

Den.

Sorry for the late reply. I got a rebuild alt from O'reilly Auto Parts. On the shelf.

Related Content You Might Like: