• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Fuel additives from the pump?

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
We're happily settling into our new home in Colorado :)

Yesterday, my grocery clerk reminded me that I had accumulated a lot of fuel points to use at their on-site gas station (50 cents off per gallon), so I figured, what the heck. When I got to the pump, I immediately noticed a giant computer screen, offering all sorts of fuel additives (which can also be paid using grocery points). Mind you, I'm driving a brand new 2014 with less than 3.400 miles on it, but I'd like to hear the experts chime in on this stuff.

Here's a write-up of King Soopers that was in the news a few years ago, so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about...

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/03/09/cbs4-puts-fuel-additives-to-the-test/

Thanks guys and gals!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
That's not really a scientific study that can deliver accurate results, sorry to have to break it to everyone. Each outing is not the same as the one before, consider the difference in all of the following factors ... if everything is the same (and how do you prove that) then you might be able to make a claim ...

Variables to take into consideration ...
  • wind speed
  • ambient air temperature
  • tire wear and inflation
  • the relative atmospheric density
  • traffic flow and speed
  • the weight of the vehicle
  • impurities in the fuel
Just too much to track ... However, it is true and has been proven that petroleum distillates do in fact break down carbon buildups. These carbon buildups on the valves and inside of the combustion chamber when air/fuel/spark are mixed do in fact decrease the overall volume of space ... thus hurting performance. Getting rid of said carbon buildups isn't a bad thing ...

That being said ... when you get the petroleum distillate "at the pump" ... how do you know that it's even going into the tank? lol

Other than that, I don't really have an opinion. :p

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Its like buying bottled water. Its not regulated so you do not really know what you're getting. I add a few ounces of methyl hydrate($6.00 a gallon) monthly during extreme cold to dissipate any moisture in fuel otherwise in my opinion additives are not really required.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
A neat concept, not really sure who benefits more the consumer or the vendor.
Ive yet to hear a mgr addmitting their product might reduce mileage.

CoastieN70

I would think a can/bottle of fuel injector cleaner by STP, Royal Purple, or others bought at the local WalMart and added every 5000 miles or so would be a better buy and you would know for certain that it is in the tank...

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I've been a listener to Ed Wallace, a local radio personality who does a 5-hour show on 570 KLIF in Dallas every Saturday morning from 8 am to 1:00 PM.

Anyhow, he's touted a product called RXP on his radio show and down here you can get it behind-the-counter at just about any auto parts store ... essentially it's all petroleum distillate and it all does the same stuff as the other stuff.

Perackfez

I don't believe in fuel additives. Just give me gas and let me be on my way, that's how it's worked for me over the years, and that'll be the case for years on. Unless I'm completely sold by the efficiency and how it works 100%.

On a side-note, I wish our Costco did that.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Thanks guys!

Well, for me, these at-the-pump additives can be paid for using my grocery reward points, of which the balance expires and resets to zero at the end of each month anyway. I might as well spend what leftover points I don't need to fill up on an additive. LOL ;)

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Here's an update:

A brand new King Soopers just opened up across town, along with a new place to gas up. These new pumps have a sticker saying that the fuel additives are available at the pump, but there's no giant computer screen attached to the pumps, unlike the older King Soopers location. So... I have no idea what to make of that :p Are they phasing out the program? Revamping it? That remains to be seen.

Greg F

As someone who actually works in a refinery unit that produces gasoline and diesel, I can tell you that additives are nothing more than a marketing gimmick to get you to buy a particular brand of gasoline at a premium price. If you maintain your vehicle, you don't need them. The most important factor for engine performance is octane, which a fuel's minimum anti-knock rating that all gasolines have to meet. Also, just so you know, it doesn't matter where you buy fuel because it likely comes from various sources anyway, so if the guy across the street is $.10 cheaper, go there. Most fuels are delivered to a terminal via a pipeline from multiple refineries who sell their products on a spot market.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I agree Greg, except when buying fuel I would stay away from older independant stations or small chains.
Here in Texas Ive found fuel stations in this categorie normally dont keep up the maintenance on storage tanks as well as volume sellers and its more common to purchase fuel with debris or moisture in it from places like that, while they may have discount prices the savings isnt worth the risk.
The exemption to that rule is small towns more than 15 miles from a freeway with only 1 fuel station, they normally have high volume sales due to a somewhat captive consumer base and tend to not only turn over lots of fuel but maintain equipment better.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Good to know, guys. Thanks!

Yeah, I have to agree about old storage tanks. The owners of one of the taxi fleets where I used to live would regularly inspect the storage tanks in town, and told their drivers which specific gas stations to use exclusively.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I think that we're talking about different things in this thread.

Intra gasoline additives are one thing. But then there is a more true petroleum distillate that can do one thing, help break up internal carbon deposits.

'Octane' is a confusing concept as well. It's able to maintain its explosive properties even when it's compressed with a high fuel-air mixture with its 8-chain carbon string. Lesser carbon strings make less explosive things like propane and butane.

From a chemical point of view octane is a hydrocarbon and an alkane with the chemical formula C8H18.

Anyhow, I find it interesting that there really isn't a set list of ingredients and their percentages to make 'gasoline'. The recipe is changed based on the season, etc.

Greg F

I used "Octane" in a manner most people understand it since I doubt there are too many chemical engineers here like yourself :D

Related Content You Might Like: